C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning under battery tray area!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 07:20 PM
1sickz51vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cleaning under battery tray area!

Hey guys my 97' C5 is about as clean as you can get under the hood, except in one area that is really bugging me. I've replaced the AC Delco battery with an Optima Red Top gel cell battery about 6 years ago (still going strong) because I've heard about batteries leaking and destroying the pcm & wiring. I really want to remove the battery, and clean inside this area really well as it has some "dirt" etc on the wiring and plastic down there. I know you are NOT supposed to get this area wet, so what do you guys use to clean the battery compartment area? Thanks!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:05 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

4 bolts remove the tray, spray lightly with simple green and wipe it down. That's it. The connectors are all weatherproof.

Ron
Old 02-10-2013, 08:35 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did this awhile ago, pulled out all kinds of leaves and twig garbage!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:36 PM
1sickz51vette
Drifting

The simple green won't eat away at the plastic wiring harnesses? I have purple power but that stuff is WAY too strong... You dont have to wash off the simple green, you can't get the pcm or wiring correct right? Also random question, but the fuse box panel bolt with plastic head has always been missing, where can I get one? Thanks!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:58 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

If your batt wasn't leaking, there won't be much to clean except dust and like Nuke said, leaves. Simple green will not hurt plastic or wiring etc. Just spray it on your rag if worried.

If your batt was leaking, I have no suggestion for you.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:11 PM
1sickz51vette
Drifting

Battery has never leaked thank god, LOVE my optima gel cell....It is just "dirty".
Old 02-10-2013, 09:17 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default I caught battery acid leak in early stages.

Connectors and wiring is waterproof.
Remove RF wheel and remove access panel at rear of wheel well. Plastic bowl full of warm water/baking soda mix liberally poured all over everything a couple times, rinse with fresh water, let dry. Sand/wire brush/clean as/if needed the spray paint where needed.
The following users liked this post:
Raymond Shartrand (05-29-2023)
Old 02-10-2013, 09:20 PM
1sickz51vette
Drifting

Hmmm great info! So it's not a good idea to use a cleaner and hose it down correct? Thanks again everyone.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:41 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1sickz51vette
Hmmm great info! So it's not a good idea to use a cleaner and hose it down correct? Thanks again everyone.
Using a cleaner such as Simple Green then hosing the area down is fine. I would not spray with SG and let dry. Rinse after.

I removed the inspection panel to have better access and used baking soda/water mix as I found early signs of acid leak. The seepage was from the OE Delco battery back in 2000 or thereabouts.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:54 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I agree with Lonestar on the Baking Soda mix w/warm water. I used a bristle brush (plastic) and scrubbed the area good with that stuff. You'll see foaming, which is telling you the acid it being neutralized. Keep going till you no longer see any foaming near your weld or metal seams.

I then let mine dry a few warm days in summer, and then spray painted. Much of the paint on my frame was gone.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:27 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Mixed up about 2 gallons of baking soda and hot water

Remove battery and tray and liberally wash everything under the tray with baking soda and water solution. Will see bubbles as it neutralizes the acid. Also clean the tray, bolts, battery hold down etc. with baking soda solution. Rinse with a garden hose and flush out all the baking soda solution. Let dry and repaint any metal that the acid got to. Then you can replace the battery tray and battery. My vacuum hose was shot too so I had to replace most of it with windshield washer hose.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:01 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bighank
..... Then you can replace the battery tray and battery..
Battery tray is molded plastic. Acid proof. Just clean and re-install.

The clip-on metal "U-Nuts" used for mounting it however, can be corroded or rusty. They are a larger size IIRC and I didn't want to go on a search to find the "correct" ones, so I just cleaned and hit them with a wire brush them black paint. Same for the mounting bolts.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:56 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default I still soak the plastic parts to neutralize the acid

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Battery tray is molded plastic. Acid proof. Just clean and re-install.

The clip-on metal "U-Nuts" used for mounting it however, can be corroded or rusty. They are a larger size IIRC and I didn't want to go on a search to find the "correct" ones, so I just cleaned and hit them with a wire brush them black paint. Same for the mounting bolts.
While the tray and hold down won't be destroyed by the acid it still gets on them unless you have a truly sealed battery. I soaked them in baking soda solution and watched the bubbles in the areas where the acid had spilled into the plastic. I too painted all metal parts including the hold down bolts with aluminized paint before reattaching them.

Get notified of new replies

To Cleaning under battery tray area!

Quick Reply: Cleaning under battery tray area!