C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Headline noise when shut and pop up w parking lights on

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Default 99 Headline noise when shut and pop up w parking lights on

I've researched a lot of posts and am confused. On a 99 the headlights now pop up but do not turn on when the parking lights are turned on. Turn on the lights and all is well. Then when the lights are turned off both lights close but the left headlight makes a grinding sound and the manual **** spins about 5 or 10 seconds and then shuts off.

I first thought it was a gear issue but now wonder if it a stop or something in the electrical system. Any suggestions where to start? Thanks
Old 08-09-2011, 03:37 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
I've researched a lot of posts and am confused. On a 99 the headlights now pop up but do not turn on when the parking lights are turned on. Turn on the lights and all is well. Then when the lights are turned off both lights close but the left headlight makes a grinding sound and the manual **** spins about 5 or 10 seconds and then shuts off.

I first thought it was a gear issue but now wonder if it a stop or something in the electrical system. Any suggestions where to start? Thanks
That grinding with the **** spinning is a dead giveaway that you have a worn nylon gear on that side... Fix that first then see if you still have the other problem...

Old 08-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Easy fix it's your nylon gear it gave up the ghost. change it out to a brass one
Old 08-09-2011, 07:57 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I agree with cdk and Chicago that at least part of your problem definitely sounds like a stripped/broken gear in the headlight motor assembly. Replace it. It's not terribly difficult to do and MUCH cheaper than buying another unit.

Brass gears are well liked by many folks here, but the nylon gears can also do an excellent job and cost roughly half the price, as long as you do your part and lubricate the headlight door mechanism periodically as well. Convinced that my factory nylon gears would go out sooner rather than later, I bought a brass replacement gear several years ago as a preventive measure to have on hand just in case, and it is still in it's original package. I've got 174K miles on my factory '99 nylon gears (yes, I bought the car new so I know they are originals) and about once a year or so I use a small oiler (using regular motor oil) and lubricate all the pivot points. Wipe off any excess and you're good to go.

Btw, you have the "good" motors that were installed from '97 to '99. They are the easiest to repair. Three screws hold the side cover on and no gluing/clamps/epoxy like the later '00-'04 versions.

HTH
Old 10-18-2011, 07:25 PM
DevilMan02
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm experiencing this same exact problem except the manual turn screw for the left light appears to spin freely. Does this also indicate my gear is toast?

Also, any vendors that sell the brass one with install instructions?
Old 10-19-2011, 03:17 PM
DevilMan02
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

bump
Old 10-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilMan02
I'm experiencing this same exact problem except the manual turn screw for the left light appears to spin freely. Does this also indicate my gear is toast?

Also, any vendors that sell the brass one with install instructions?
The gear will turn freely for a bit before it actually turns. Just search brass gear and yuo shoudl see a vendor. Are you having issues with yoru headlights?
Old 10-19-2011, 07:42 PM
AnteVenom
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Daytona Jam 1 Veteran

I agree with what others are suggesting and switched to brass gears a while ago when my 1999 coupe began having grinding issues. I also had to replace the control module.

The OP also says something about the headlights popping up when turning the parking lights on.

I think that normal operation would have the lights turned on causing them to pop up and then when backing off to parking lights the lights stay up but the lamps go out.

It seems OP is having the lights pop up prematurely and this may be caused by a control module issue.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:55 AM
PierEagle
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AnteVenom
I agree with what others are suggesting and switched to brass gears a while ago when my 1999 coupe began having grinding issues. I also had to replace the control module.

The OP also says something about the headlights popping up when turning the parking lights on.

I think that normal operation would have the lights turned on causing them to pop up and then when backing off to parking lights the lights stay up but the lamps go out.

It seems OP is having the lights pop up prematurely and this may be caused by a control module issue.

Had the same problem, grinding noise, headlights pop up with parking lights, etc. Once I replaced the nylon gears, everything went back into sync. No module issues.

The book says disconnect and remove the entire headlight assembly, but someone with small hands can remove the motors and replace the gear without taking out the entire assembly.

Just disconnect the electric plug, manually raise the headlights, remove the shroud and headlight lid and you can access the motors. Note position of the linkage rod when removing motor and reinstall in same position.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Ron00frc
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not understand the connection between worn gears and the doors opening when turning on parking lights. mine was making the gear noise when closing and the doors opened when turning on parking lights. replaced gear and now no noise and parking lights do not open the doors, where's the connection ?
Old 02-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Ron00frc
I do not understand the connection between worn gears and the doors opening when turning on parking lights. mine was making the gear noise when closing and the doors opened when turning on parking lights. replaced gear and now no noise and parking lights do not open the doors, where's the connection ?
Please don't revive old threads. Start a new one.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...s-or-more.html

Get notified of new replies

To 99 Headline noise when shut and pop up w parking lights on

Quick Reply: 99 Headline noise when shut and pop up w parking lights on