C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Column lock bypass advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 03:52 PM
Jeff Garner
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Column lock bypass advice needed

I know it's been covered infinitely, and I've searched and read until I'm more confused because of information overload.
My column lock is working properly, but looking a simple solution to avoid/prevent the chance of column lock.

Just bought a clean, mostly stock 2002 Z06 with 48K miles. Pretty sure column lock bypass not installed because with key out, column is locked and when switching key on, I hear the locking mechanism unlock, and when removing the key I hear the mechanism lock.
I don't know if any GM "recalls/correction" attempts were ever performed on this car.

Anyway, some questions:
1. CLB from Corvettes of Houston or LMC5 from Compliance Parts? Any difference in what they do? Either one better for my situation?
2. If any GM recalls were actually done at some point, will this matter as to which bypass I purchase and install?
3. If GM performed any column lock recalls, how could I find out?
4. Maybe another topic, but keep reading about 2 mph fuel shut-off in CLB threads. Is this a related issue that can also be avoided?

Thanks in advance. Jeff
Old 03-24-2013, 04:41 PM
dt'sblue02
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I also have a column lock issue

I just bought an 02 6spd, former owner said column was fixed at dealer, my steering wheel turns without the keys in it, I drove it home, parked it in the driveway to make some room in the garage and now can't go over 2 mph, battery is fully charged (also swapped battery), i can hear the locking solinoid when I turn the key on and off. Anybody out there have any ideas?
Old 03-24-2013, 04:43 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by dt'sblue02
I just bought an 02 6spd, former owner said column was fixed at dealer, my steering wheel turns without the keys in it, I drove it home, parked it in the driveway to make some room in the garage and now can't go over 2 mph, battery is fully charged (also swapped battery), i can hear the locking solinoid when I turn the key on and off. Anybody out there have any ideas?
buy a CLB....the recall GM fix never works
Old 03-24-2013, 04:47 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dt'sblue02
Part of one fix was to program the 2mph cutoff. Too late for you. They removed the locking plate and programmed in that 2mph cutoff.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:51 PM
dt'sblue02
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
Part of one fix was to program the 2mph cutoff. Too late for you. They removed the locking plate and programmed in that 2mph cutoff.
So I have to buy and install the CLB and it's fixed?
Old 03-24-2013, 09:29 PM
Jeff Garner
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
To know if the GM recall service was done to the car call the GM 800 customer service line and have your VIN ready. It was a safety recall and they can tell you if there are any recalls outstanding.

Alternatively send an Email along with the VIN for the car to one of the two following vendors and ask them to email you the GMVIS for the vehicle:

dfichtner@fichtnerchevrolet.com Dennis Fichtner

gene@gmpartshouse.com Gene Culley

Status of the column lock recall will be in the report.
Done = closed
Not done (unlikely) = open

The 2mph fuel shutoff was a part of the recall service. THe PCM was reflashed with the fuel shutoff speed set to 2mph. If the column lock logic in the BCM get into a state where it thinks the column is locked when it should be unlocked, it signals the PCM to "enable fuel shutoff" If you then attempt to drive the car the fuel is shut off at 2mph. Since the GM Column lock system was such an unreliable piece of crap this was a fail safe to keep dumb drivers from driving the car with the column locked. unfortunately there are a lot of conditions that can cause the BCM to get out of sync with the actual state of the column lock so you can easily get stranded by either the column being locked and you can't get it unlocked or the system thinking the column is locked (when it might not be) and "protecting" you from driving the car cause the system thinks it's locked.

If the car has a tune, most tuners reset the fuel shutoff speed to a high number.

Differing opinions on the CLB vs the LMC5. LMC5 has only been around about 2 years. The CLB has been around since before 2000. I have a CLB and it works fine so I like it. I have my reasons for not liking the LMC5. But others will see it in reverse.

Weak or bad battery or loose or dirty battery connections (including at the starter) are the MOST common cause of the column lock symptoms
Thanks for the info 8VETTE7. I sent e-mails to the 2 individuals.
Knowing what I know (or don't know) today, I should proceed with ordering and installing the aftermarket CLB and this should prevent any future column lock or fuel shut-off??
I'm just ready for peace of mind. Jeff
Old 03-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Jeff Garner
Melting Slicks

Thanks Man! I'll call COH tomorrow and get it on the way.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:36 PM
Jeff Garner
Melting Slicks

I would install the CLB if it were my car. If the car has a GM K Harness (will be noted in the GMVIS if one was installed) then you need to insure that the CLB is NOT plugged into the K Harness but rather to the female connector that goes directly to the BCM. 99% of the manual trans cars do NOT have a K Harness installed. The few I have seen are because of version 04006C of the GM recall service or a Corvette tech's mistake. GM instructions for the recall service to manual trans cars does NOT call for a K Harness. Since your column locks with the key out, you do NOT have variation 04006C done so again no K Harness.

Yes with a CLB installed the column will no longer lock and you will not experience the 2mph shut off. Result = piece of mind that the column lock system will not strand you.
Got a copy of the GMVIS today
Product safety recall N040006 Electronic Column Lock System 4/19/2004. Closed.
Ordered my CLB this morning.
Do I need to undo anything from the N040006 when installing the CLB?
Old 04-30-2013, 05:28 PM
YocumVette
Intermediate

Default Column Lock Bypass issue but recall has been done already

My 1997 Vette is now displaying the Column Lock Bypass problem and shutting the car down as other folks have experienced. The recall had already been done on this car 2004. I pulled the fuse #25 and tried to reset the system but that didn't fix it either. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Are there other potential problems besides the key or the battery? I believe the battery indicator was around 13 volts.

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:50 AM
YocumVette
Intermediate

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1583748086-post36.html

Get your self a CLB or LMC5. GM recall service can't permanently fix the column lock symptoms. These aftermarket products can.

Most common cause of the column lock symptoms is a weak or bad battery or loose or corroded battery connections including at the starter.

Dash gauge CANNOT tell you the state of health of the battery. It reports the state of health of the charging system. To verify the state of health of the battery you need to measure the voltage across the battery posts with a Digital Multi meter and the neg battery cable disconnected, called the NO LOAD VOLTAGE. That voltage needs to be greater than 12.5 volts or the electronics in the car is NOT going to be happy, certainly NOT the column lock electronics. A good battery at full charge will measure between 12.7 and 12 .9 volts measured as described. Car will start with less than 12.2 volts NO LOAD but the column lock electronics will fail because they run BEFORE the engine is started. Voltage from the alternator AFTER the engine starts is TOO LATE to help.
I ordered the CLB yesterday! Thanks for the reply!!! This is a great forum! Now that I'm not in a panic, I can read more of the information here.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:23 PM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Old 05-01-2013, 02:30 PM
dt'sblue02
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by YocumVette
I ordered the CLB yesterday! Thanks for the reply!!! This is a great forum! Now that I'm not in a panic, I can read more of the information here.
My k harness was fried, ordered CLB from corvettes of Huston for 49.99, they were very nice, got it in a week and installed in 10 min, you might be able to disconnect k harness and go back to factory and still be able to drive till you get the CLB. But you need the CLB for sure. 8vette7 is the bomb, he's got all the links to show you how to fix, my car failed the day I bought it!! I was freaking out, but he calmed me down, really not a big deal to fix, good luck
Old 05-02-2013, 03:03 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 01 Z06 (81K miles) has a fix from a dealer where the column was replaced, and with that, the lock plate was removed it would seem and that job was done at 22K miles. Normally that was only offered on automatics, but this Z06 had that done and now I can move my column without a key installed. There is no 04006 action code in the GMVIS report, its E7501, and there is no CLB module installed or K-harness, Ive looked very carefully for them.

I was however still getting a 'service column lock' message in the DIC upon start-up. I have a new battery. I know at 81K miles purchase, I was going to clean the ignition switch. I did this and viola, no more 'service column lock' messages are appearing in the DIC upon start-up. My switch definitely had several carboned up contacts.

I'm not sure if the power distribution for the Steering wheel feedback is coming through that switch via the PCM, but it seems to have made a difference. So I would argue not all column lock issues are 100% battery related, but may also be ignition switch and even ground corrosion related as well.

Last edited by MN-Brent; 05-02-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Auto_5
Advanced

I have installed the gm recall on my 98 vette worked for 3 months and their relay went bad. Gm replace it and its been ok but I have bought a bypass kit from thunder racing to install Also don't leave the key in the ignition switch I have found that mine went into stupid mode when I left the key in the switch not running

Get notified of new replies

To Column lock bypass advice needed

Quick Reply: Column lock bypass advice needed