C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Activated TPMS

Old 04-01-2013, 04:19 PM
mikes1hog
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oldtimer
Default Activated TPMS

So I went ahead and bought new General Tires A/S and TSW wheels (gunmetal with machine face) and new TPMS's mounted & balanced from Discount Tire Direct. Removed my chrome thin spokes and my 8950 mile old GY RF's (BTW they show no wear, no cracks in the tread, etc; they are just 9-11 years old). Mounted my new wheels and sneakers. And proceeded to do the "training" with my magnet. Nothing happens. So I have read that sometimes you need to run the car to "wake up" the sensors and out I go. Drives sweet, no road noise, just the sound of my GHL exhaust tone. I am waiting for the alarm that I have four flats and there is nothing. As I get closer to home, I figured to check the gauge DIC and, lo and behold, I have a pressure readout for all four tires. Could they have been activated at DTD? And thus I won't know which side that a potential flat might be on, but what does that matter, a flat front or rear is the important thing to know to prepare your reaction. Is this even possible? Has anyone experienced this or is this old man hallucinating after playing with 8 tires??
Old 04-01-2013, 07:46 PM
mikes1hog
Pro

Oldtimer

No one has bought a package from Discount Tire?
Old 04-01-2013, 08:59 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but DTD can not train the new sensors so that they are working on the car without having the car. Training is just causing the receiver to recognize the sensor.

When you tried to train them with no response, it could be that your magnet was not strong enough or in the right place to activate them and cause the horn to beep.

I don't know why they are working for you since DTD can not do it remotely and you didn't do it either. But if they are working you can learn which tire position is low if you have a warning. The DIC will tell you the reading for each tire. If you are unsure if they are mounted in the right positions you can test it to find out. Just note what the DIC reading is for each tire, then let air out of one tire and see for which tire the DIC reading changed. Repeat for each tire.

Good luck.

One other possibility is that the old wheels/tires/sensors are still trained to the car and if you are parked close enough to the old set, the car might be picking up the signal from them. If this is the case, you may have a reading when parked close to them, but it will go away after a few miles of driving .

I had something similar with two cars. I swapped wheels/tires from one to the other. The car that didn't have sensors would show a reading after it was parked and I had the other car next to it..

Last edited by QCVette; 04-01-2013 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Other wheels?
Old 04-01-2013, 10:15 PM
mikes1hog
Pro

Oldtimer

I agree with everything that you said. The reading on the DIC came up when the car was several miles away from the old set of tires. I will try the changing of the amount of air in a tire.

Get notified of new replies

To Activated TPMS

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Activated TPMS