C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Std. Tires vs. Run Flats

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 01:20 AM
Jamn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Std. Tires vs. Run Flats

I have 12500 miles on my 2001 C5 and already the back tires are shot. Can't understand this, because I rarely spin the tires. Anyway, I can't stand the ride of the run flats, and I am probably going for the GoodYear non run flats. I got the idea of carying a pump and a can of flat fix in case of a flat. I understand that this is standard issue with the Z06. Does anyone know if the over the counter canned air flat fix is the same thing that comes with the Z06 package? Also will this stuff (if used) mess up the pressure sensors? Any other ideas will be appreciated.

Jamn
Old 06-19-2002, 09:34 AM
ncvetteman
Safety Car

Default Re: Std. Tires vs. Run Flats (Jamn)

I have 12500 miles on my 2001 C5 and already the back tires are shot. Can't understand this, because I rarely spin the tires. Anyway, I can't stand the ride of the run flats, and I am probably going for the GoodYear non run flats. I got the idea of carying a pump and a can of flat fix in case of a flat. I understand that this is standard issue with the Z06. Does anyone know if the over the counter canned air flat fix is the same thing that comes with the Z06 package? Also will this stuff (if used) mess up the pressure sensors? Any other ideas will be appreciated.

Jamn
Regular fix-a-flat will toast the sensors (or at least will run the rist of). The Z06-type will not (its is water based, or something like that). The bad thing is that is $50+ a can. You can use the regular fix-a-flat, used sensors go for around $50 if they get damaged, so your out about the same either way. I would carry a compressor, plug kit, and use a regular fix-a-flat as a last case option. And you have been having fun, my Rear Run-flats have 30k+ on them already.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:27 PM
Jamn
Instructor

Thanks NCVETTEMAN for the reply. Do you have to use a special type of plug kit for these tires. Also I don't know why these wore out so fast. My wife drives it to and from work mostly, and it would freak her out to spin the tires. I know that I keep the traction control on all the time, and I never spin them. I sure would like to know how to get 30k out of these.

PS....I just put the non run flats on today, and I'm hooked. No way can I go back to the concrete tires.

Jamn
Old 06-20-2002, 09:45 AM
ncvetteman
Safety Car

Thanks NCVETTEMAN for the reply. Do you have to use a special type of plug kit for these tires. Also I don't know why these wore out so fast. My wife drives it to and from work mostly, and it would freak her out to spin the tires. I know that I keep the traction control on all the time, and I never spin them. I sure would like to know how to get 30k out of these.

PS....I just put the non run flats on today, and I'm hooked. No way can I go back to the concrete tires.

Jamn
There are alot of choices for plug kits, see these topics for some ideas:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=173462 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=224906

You can get basic ones at Walmart too. I'm still on runflats, ~30,500 miles but by rears will need to be replaced soon... going to non-runflats to. Lasted that long from using a slightly higher than recommended tire pressure 32-34 cold, and highway miles.
Old 06-20-2002, 04:49 PM
davidmax
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Std. Tires vs. Run Flats (ncvetteman)

SAY NO TO DRUGS AND RUN FLATS.You dont need mileage after 6 mos. they begin to harden(causing noise) Decompose and each month the handling will be worse.On a Z06 a large%ge of its superb handling ability are those sweet Good years.Call Nate for pricing I like Mich. Pilots myself 13000 miles of spinning and hole shots with comp alignment I have 7/32nds out of 10/32's tread life left,with amazing cornering ability and as far as I'm concernrd all R.F brands are =ly poor because you have no sidewall to dig into th twisties.Dave
PS Its always a great time for wheels too and we have a huge selection more DEEPLY discounted than ever.Dave
Old 06-20-2002, 05:49 PM
2kbluestreak
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Std. Tires vs. Run Flats (davidmax)

Generally, a runflat set of tires will cost $ 300 to $400 more than a comparible non runflat, so if you only get 1 flat with the set and have to use fix-a-flat goop to get home, your still $$'s ahead if you ruin the pressure sensor and have to pay $100 to replace. You might also have to pay for a flatbed tow, but a lot of this could be re-imbursed by your insurance. Most of the time, from my own personal experience, when you do get a flat, it is a slow leaker. With the pressure monitoring system, the DIC will let you know. I'd rather use the 12 volt air pump and keep pumping back up every couple hours than mess with plugging anyplace. With a high speed rated tire, I would rather have an inside patch applied then mess up the strength of the belts by forcing a 1/4" drill and plug through it. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Std. Tires vs. Run Flats

Quick Reply: Std. Tires vs. Run Flats