C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

p0440

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 02:18 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Default p0440

I got my 2001 z06 a few months ago, and ive been plagued with a p0440 CEL. its always on startup, never while driving. several multiple hour road trips and never has it come on, but ever 3/4 startups it kicks on. havent replaced the gas cap but its always tight and i read that p0440 indicates a bigger leak than gas cap. Occasionally there is a faint scent of gas, but nothing major. anyone have a diagram of the evap system? ive got a scan tool, is there anything i can do to further diagnose the problem with that? thanks in advance.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:38 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

well, even though no one replied, i figured i would post back with an update in case anyone in the future suffers this same issue. pull your drivers side engine cover off and look for a vacuum port right around the coil pack closest to the firewall. theres a connector that has a vacuum line that runs towards the front of the engine. (if you arent sure its the right one there should be a green tag that says evap emissions regulated at 1 psi or something like that.) mine had come disconnected there causing a strong unburned fuel smell through the vents and a p0440 CEL.
The following 3 users liked this post by dbgoodwin:
CMC Corvette (10-23-2016), Pounder (10-24-2016), sidneyke (01-17-2020)
Old 10-23-2016, 11:34 PM
CMC Corvette
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
well, even though no one replied, i figured i would post back with an update in case anyone in the future suffers this same issue. pull your drivers side engine cover off and look for a vacuum port right around the coil pack closest to the firewall. theres a connector that has a vacuum line that runs towards the front of the engine. (if you arent sure its the right one there should be a green tag that says evap emissions regulated at 1 psi or something like that.) mine had come disconnected there causing a strong unburned fuel smell through the vents and a p0440 CEL.
THANK YOU, DBGOODWIN! Had my valve cover gaskets replaced a month ago. A few days later, P0440 showed up. I'd clear it; a few starts/days later, it was back. Faint smell of gas from time to time. I just pulled off my driver's side engine cover, and just like you said, the little plastic port nozzle connector near the firewall was missing a hose. Found the small hose laying on top of the engine. Slid it on the connector and PROBLEM SOLVED!!! If only ALL problems were this easy. :-)
Old 11-03-2016, 10:38 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Nice! glad I posted my update after finding it. I was such a "Duh" moment when I saw it that I was almost skeptical that I had found the actual issue.

Get notified of new replies

To p0440

Quick Reply: p0440