C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant spraying out of tank on accelaration?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 07:59 PM
bayarea
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant spraying out of tank on accelaration?

so i just bought this 03 zo6 when i got home there was radiator fluid all over the side of the car? then when i turned it on few hours later a massive amount of white smoke came out of tail pipes.

i call the used car dealer and they say they will fix it........according to them they replaced pass side headgasket and they sent the head out to machine shop for inspection.

i get the car back drive it home open hood there is coolant seeping from under the head at the corner i wipe it clean and it re appears.

i take it back and they said oh it just the cap and coolant tank we replaced it.

so i reluctantly drive it home and take it past 5k rpm a few times i get home and by then the temp had reached 244 with coolant all over the place in the engine bay.

while someone gave it some gas i watched the tank and on harder accelaration the tank litterally is like a volcano???
Old 04-06-2013, 08:32 PM
sircampsalot2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like a bad head gasket or a head that wasnt decked so its running hot and pushing water into the overflow tank.

Originally Posted by bayarea
so i just bought this 03 zo6 when i got home there was radiator fluid all over the side of the car? then when i turned it on few hours later a massive amount of white smoke came out of tail pipes.

i call the used car dealer and they say they will fix it........according to them they replaced pass side headgasket and they sent the head out to machine shop for inspection.

i get the car back drive it home open hood there is coolant seeping from under the head at the corner i wipe it clean and it re appears.

i take it back and they said oh it just the cap and coolant tank we replaced it.

so i reluctantly drive it home and take it past 5k rpm a few times i get home and by then the temp had reached 244 with coolant all over the place in the engine bay.

while someone gave it some gas i watched the tank and on harder accelaration the tank litterally is like a volcano???

Last edited by sircampsalot2; 04-06-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:45 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problems but it does sound like a bad head gasket or warped head. If they didnt deck the head correctly it wont seal correctly. The same if they didnt follow the proper torque down procedures. Dont drive the car to avoid any more damage. If you get coolant in your oil itll destroy the bearings. Tow it back to them and have them fix it right. Ask for the specs on the heads from whatever machine shop they use....if they used one at all.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Sounds like you have a serious head or block issue. I hope your used car dealership doesn't try to weasel out of the proper repair!!

Please keep us abreast of the unfolding events.

Good luck and I hope you get this resolved.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To coolant spraying out of tank on accelaration?

Quick Reply: coolant spraying out of tank on accelaration?