C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

finally a fix for abs/ebcm with letter M

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 08:38 PM
mikeyboy1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default finally a fix for abs/ebcm with letter M

I have fantastic news for all of you that have the famous abs/ebcm problem on your C5. I have a 1998 C5. My EBCM has the letter M, which was the only ebcm unit that couldn't be fixed until now. I took my vette to Corvette Care in Rancho Cordova Ca. They sent my pump housing and ebcm to their repair shop. It took about 3 weeks to get my vette back but it was well worth the wait. I have scoured the internet for anyone that could fix it, but Corvette Care was the only company that was able to fix it. They also gave me a 1 year warranty on the repair.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 04-13-2013 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Info. about Non-supporting Vendor
Old 04-12-2013, 08:49 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

do you know what was fixed or the extent of what can be fixed?
Old 04-13-2013, 01:14 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

I thought all pre 01 EBCMS could not be fixed regardless of what letter it had.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:28 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by baxsom
I thought all pre 01 EBCMS could not be fixed regardless of what letter it had.
limited flaws have been able to be repair for the past few months. curious if this is something new
Old 04-13-2013, 02:53 AM
mikeyboy1
Intermediate

Default abs/ebcm letter M fix

My system was so screwed up that I got the following messages, not exactly as was displayed. "Shocks inoperative reduce handling speed to 80mph. Service abs brakes. Service traction system. Ride control inoperative" I would start my car and it would die when I let the clutch out and wouldn't restart until I disconnected and reconnected the battery cable and unplugged and plugged back in my ebcm harness. It would then reset everything for a short time. Corvette Care removed the ebcm and housing so they could be fixed at the same time. I would be more than happy to fax any of you my final invoice.
I thought it would be impossible for them to repair it after all I have read and heard about on this problem.

Last edited by mikeyboy1; 04-13-2013 at 02:57 AM. Reason: didn't know about email address restrictions
Old 04-15-2013, 04:20 AM
aasports
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

How do you know if its an "M" ?? Does it say somewhere or is it based on whether or not it has the traction control?
Old 04-15-2013, 06:36 AM
mikeyboy1
Intermediate

The ebcm has a bar code sticker on it with a big letter M along with the serial number. Apparently this was one of the early 1998 ebcm's manufactured.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:10 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

What you're describing means your car had bigger issues than just the EBCM failing. The ride control and stalling are not caused by the EBCM. I bet they went through the wiring and most likely fixed the grounds, possibly the ignition switch or some other wiring fault.

There have been limited repairs possible, mostly messing with relays in the module, so reading this does not give much hope. The main circuit board in the module is simply not repairable.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:01 PM
jpranchranger
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what did it cost?
Old 04-15-2013, 02:33 PM
mikeyboy1
Intermediate

Labor was $237.50 to r & r the pump assembly. They sent the unit to southern California to be rebuilt which was $800.00. They replaced the ground connector for $39.40.
My ABS hadn't worked for over 4 years. I made it worse by putting conductive grease in the harness, shorting everything out. "Stupid thing to do" but I thought it was a bad connection problem. Everthing works great now, no more error messages. Hard to believe!
3 different repair shops including a GM dealership diagnosed the system to be a faulty abs problem.

Get notified of new replies

To finally a fix for abs/ebcm with letter M

Quick Reply: finally a fix for abs/ebcm with letter M