Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 Tech
Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
Karl Chevrolet

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 04-18-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
mattr178
CF Member

Default 1999 starts but will not run longer then 1 or 2 seconds

All I did was replace the spark plugs and spark plug wires. I changed the wires out with MSD and the plugs with NGKs. Now car will start and idle where it's supposed to (600-700 rpms) then start to sputter for about 2-5 seconds, eventually dying. I have recently replaced fuel filter, but that was a week or two ago and it was running fine until I changed the plugs. I checked the DTC and only thing that popped up was a H code p1514, and I only think it did that because, I was looking at the forums for possible answers, and one suggested was to unplug the maf and then try it, so I did, and when I started it barely started, said reduced engine power. SO I figured that was gonna help and plugged it back in. I installed a vararam intake a couple weeks ago, and again it has ran fine up until after finishing the spark plugs job. Any suggestions... I plan on checking fuel pressure tomorrow if I get the chance. But anyone else have a similar problem ever? Thank you.
mattr178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
mattr178
CF Member

Ttt for the morning. Posted late last night.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
mattr178
CF Member

Fuel pressure is right where it should be at... could my throttle body be done for or the throttle position sensor?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
SaberD
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to SaberD

unplug the maf again and check for corrosion in the connector. clean it up and reinstall.

You will get the reduced engine power message if the pcm isn't communicating with the maf.
SaberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Cutlassmaster
CF Senior Member

Which plugs did you install, what is the gap and did you ensure the wires are push all the way on the plugs and coils? From what you said, no issues prior to plugs and wires. That is what I would be looking at first.
Chris
Cutlassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
mattr178
CF Member

Installed NGK laser iridium. I am pretty sure all the plug wires are all the way on. I checked more then once but I suppose it won't hurt to check again. I will also check the maf connections.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
MG RED 99
CF Senior Member

Could have gotten a crappy MSD wire. I've heard mixed opinions on them not being that great. Try putting your old wires back on and make sure they are seated properly. If that doesn't work then put your old plugs back in and see what happens. Always start from the point of failure. If it worked prior to the plugs and wires then that's your problem, don't go chasing other areas until you've ruled them out. If the wires are your problem a lot of people use the GM performance wires.

I personally had a problem with 2 bad msd wires and wasn't even aware of it until my tuner did a check while doing other tuning work on the dyno.

Also check to make sure you have the proper plug gap.
MG RED 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
mattr178
CF Member

So even though it starts right up it could still be the plugs and/or wires?
Old 04-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #9
GoatKart
CF Senior Member

Simple check...

Put your stockers back on, if problem goes away... you have bad wires...

If problem persists, your stockers could be broken from the removal (yanking on wire instead of boot), your install faulty (not fully on the plug), or you have some other problem lol
GoatKart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:01 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Reload this Page 1999 starts but will not run longer then 1 or 2 seconds