C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam guru's only please

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 10:03 PM
bracketshark
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cam guru's only please

I'm fixing to do the head cam upgrade on my 99 FRC. I had a set of 243's CNC ported they look good, @ the same time I bought my new cam from the CNC guys (I'd rather not call their name). I was told I should have no problem getting to 425 RWHP with the upgrades. I'm not going to list them all but I'm sure you have a good idea what it takes to get there, and I have them. My car will never be raced, by me anyway, I want there to be no doubt when listening to it run that it is a "cammed" car. With that said here are the specs on the cam I bought: intake centerline 109.6, intake lift .605, duration @ .050 is 230.9, LSA 113.9.
I'll mention I've got long tubes, no cats, Z06 ti's and Tony Mamo ported fast 90 and TB. Well, what should I expect sound wise with this cam? Thanks guys.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:29 PM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

This is an interesting question. not sure how to vocally "gauge" a cam.
but i'll compare it to steak, This cam sounds Medium-well done
Old 04-23-2013, 11:13 PM
bracketshark
Burning Brakes

I wonder if that's good or bad, I prefer my steaks medium rare.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:14 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by bracketshark
I'm fixing to do the head cam upgrade on my 99 FRC. I had a set of 243's CNC ported they look good, @ the same time I bought my new cam from the CNC guys (I'd rather not call their name). I was told I should have no problem getting to 425 RWHP with the upgrades. I'm not going to list them all but I'm sure you have a good idea what it takes to get there, and I have them. My car will never be raced, by me anyway, I want there to be no doubt when listening to it run that it is a "cammed" car. With that said here are the specs on the cam I bought: intake centerline 109.6, intake lift .605, duration @ .050 is 230.9, LSA 113.9.
I'll mention I've got long tubes, no cats, Z06 ti's and Tony Mamo ported fast 90 and TB. Well, what should I expect sound wise with this cam? Thanks guys.
Not sure if you're actually asking what it will sound like... but I think it'll sound a lot like this.
Blair's cam is a 230/236 .591/.601 with 114+4. The advance (+4) on the lobes help it idle a bit smoother and slightly better low range power (comes on quicker) but not quite as strong on the top end (although no slouch at all). Your's will sound close to this, but probably have a bit more lope but a bit quieter than Blair's GHL's.

Last edited by CactusCat; 04-24-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:17 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

It will have some chop to the idle but won't sound like a real lumpy cam. If you run a lower idle it will be more of a "cam" sound if that is what you are seeking. If you were just after sound, the GM hotcam would have done the job and would be easy on the valve train.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:03 AM
bracketshark
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CactusCat
Not sure if you're actually asking what it will sound like... but I think it'll sound a lot like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=9apjKAl0BD4
Blair's cam is a 230/236 .591/.601 with 114+4. The advance (+4) on the lobes help it idle a bit smoother and slightly better low range power (comes on quicker) but not quite as strong on the top end (although no slouch at all). Your's will sound close to this, but probably have a bit more lope but a bit quieter than Blair's GHL's.
That's about what I was looking for. Let me ask another question. I bought a new set of 1.7 Yella Terra roller rockers, The head/cam guy advised not to use them, he advised that he would spec a different cam if I insisted on using the RR's. I gave in and agreed to use the stock rockers with the modified bearings. I'm now thinking I want a Jessel system on there. Just my preference though. Do Roller tipped rockers really affect cam operation? I've built many SBC's been a serious 1/8th mile bracket racer, and never heard this comment from a cam company. Was it smoke or something to it?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:52 AM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

He advance against because of the 1.7 ratio, not the roller tip. If he's a perfectionist and already spec the cam, changing the ratio, changes everything. The geometry will be off.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:37 AM
bracketshark
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FourG63 97GST
He advance against because of the 1.7 ratio, not the roller tip. If he's a perfectionist and already spec the cam, changing the ratio, changes everything. The geometry will be off.
Well isn't the stock ratio 1.7 or is it 1.75? Whatever, I had the stock ratio roller rockers he didn't want me to use. Does the roller tip change the aggressiveness of the lobe design?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:11 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Stock ratio is 1.7. Advantage of the YT's is the stellar wipe you can with them if you take the time to set them up. Disadvantage is they are aluminum and there have been some breakage issues in the past. I am running the YT's and was very happy with the wipe pattern I got with them. The stock rockers will scrub a very wide pattern, especially with your lift.

Not sure I understand his concern with the YT's unless he has some really fast ramp rate on the cam. He should provide more details.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:09 PM
bracketshark
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Stock ratio is 1.7. Advantage of the YT's is the stellar wipe you can with them if you take the time to set them up. Disadvantage is they are aluminum and there have been some breakage issues in the past. I am running the YT's and was very happy with the wipe pattern I got with them. The stock rockers will scrub a very wide pattern, especially with your lift.

Not sure I understand his concern with the YT's unless he has some really fast ramp rate on the cam. He should provide more details.
I asked the question why and it quickly became more complicated than I could keep up with. That is one reason I asked here, to be able to reread the answers given and try and understand. It seems everybody has different ideas concerning rocker geometry. Try reading this:

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8650

or from Jim Miller :
http://www.mid-lift.com/intro-mid-lift.htm
it makes since for a while then gets too complicated for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Cam guru's only please

Quick Reply: Cam guru's only please