C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to forge my LS6...what all am I looking at?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 03:50 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Want to forge my LS6...what all am I looking at?

Hi CF

While my car is torn apart, I have decided its finally time to go forged while my motor is still together and everything is in good shape.

Basically, I am lookin at tearing my motor apart, and putting everything back together exactly how it is only with forged pistons and rods. My questions are the following:

1) what am I going to have to have the machine shop do? Ideally I would like to keep the stock bore. I was kinda hoping I could either just have the block honed or even hone it myself if that's possible

2) what all will I have to buy to do this? I already have some forged rods, I'm thinking all I need is pistons with rings, bearings and seals/gaskets

3) are there any good books that I can buy that provide a good step by step or how to? I want to do as much of this myself as possible, and I would like to have something to reference for procedure and torque specs

Thanks for your help guys. Let me know if you have any other advice for me
Old 04-30-2013, 08:50 PM
1BADAZ50TH
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like you already have a good idea of what you need. I would have a machine shop inspect and hone the block. They will advise you if the cylinders are ok. Then you can get the right forged pistons and rings. I would supply them all of the rotating assembly to balance. I would also not put back together without a new oil pump and timing chain. If you are going to do it, do it right the first time. I would also get a baby cam & lifters if I wanted about stock. I don't know of any good reference material for you but I'm sure someone else will. Good luck.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:14 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Chevy High Performance magazine sometimes has good articles about all Chevy High Performance. I built two motors from their mag.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:26 PM
DooDooBear1999
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're going to need an anvil, a hammer, a blacksmith's apron... wait, nevermind.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:49 AM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

First, find a really good machine shop.It will NOT be the cheapest. Ask around with local gearheads and racers who really knows their business.
After teardown you will have a much better idea what you are up against. You dont mention milage or condition. They will tell you how much the cyl needs to be honed at a minimum.
Im a big fan of torque plates and Sunnen CK 10s. That being said, if by some miricle the bores dont need correcting and you are bucks down, yes, you can deglaze it at home with a brush hone. But if youre going to pull it down to go forged, my advice is to do it right.
Your finish will be dictated by what type of ring you want to go with.
As always, What are your goals?
Old 05-02-2013, 01:18 AM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

800 to 1000 hp.

Looking to get 3.903 forged pistons, I think I have settled on Wisecos. Current motor has about 70k and doesn't burn a drop of oil.

Get notified of new replies

To Want to forge my LS6...what all am I looking at?

Quick Reply: Want to forge my LS6...what all am I looking at?