C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS: Self Activated????

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 11:24 PM
mikes1hog
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oldtimer
Default TPMS: Self Activated????

When I installed my new wheels and tires from DTD, I placed the old tires within 6 ft of the car. I did the magnet routine and nothing worked. I took the car out as I read here that sometimes you have to wake up the new sensors. Brought the car back and tried again with the magnet and nothing happens. Take the car out again and there is a tire pressure for each pair on the DIC. When I mounted the tires, I did one at a time. Could that have kept the activation "alive?"Then I thought that the closeness of the old wheels might be doing something. Well those "bad boys" were sold 2 weeks ago and the [there is still pressure reading on the display for each pair of wheels. Is there a genie in my '04? Does she look like Barbara Eden? Does anyone have an answer or should I just be happy that it's working?

Last edited by mikes1hog; 05-03-2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: sp errors
Old 05-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

Been a long time since I ran TPS but as I recall, you have to drive faster than 15 mph to start them the first time. Using the magnet locates each tire to the appropriate reading on the DIC. If you had a late model corvette, you could place the old tires around the newly mounted tires and get a reading. Lot of HPDE drivers have used that trick at the track..pull next to another daily driver who has TPS and they are good for 50 miles.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:41 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The sensors either have to be moving or have a magnet applied to transmit a signal and the car doesn't self learn which sensor signal is at which wheel location. In other words, it's 100% not possible that the car self-learned the new sensors.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:21 PM
mikes1hog
Pro

Oldtimer

I agree. But why don't I get an alert that the TPMS isn't working. Where are the numbers on the screen coming from? BTW, over 15 mph to activate. I might have gone a tad bit faster
Old 05-03-2013, 02:40 PM
woodvette03
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

did you do the re-learn procedure from your dash buttons or just hold a magnet to the wheels? did you use a strong enough magnet like one of those rare earth neodynium ones?
Old 05-03-2013, 03:45 PM
mikes1hog
Pro

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by woodvette03
did you do the re-learn procedure from your dash buttons or just hold a magnet to the wheels? did you use a strong enough magnet like one of those rare earth neodynium ones?
Followed the step by step procedure even watched the Youtube video. Magnet is a ceramic type and is quite strong. I've read people using speaker magnets, pickup tool magnets, parts magnets. My magnet is so strong that I cannot lift it off the side of a metal tool box, I have to slide it off.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS: Self Activated????

Quick Reply: TPMS: Self Activated????