C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaky butt question

Old 05-13-2013, 01:29 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Leaky butt question

Going to replace output shaft seals, I'll save the o-rings and sealant for when the clutch gives up. My question is about the vent, it's clearly been puking for some time. I HPDE the car frequently and no doubt cook the crap out of it. Is there anything I can do about the vent puking? It wasn't overserviced, so I don't know what else to do here. There was a puddle on top of the diff, so no question that it was coming from there as well as the output shaft seals.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:43 PM
seattle
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

i thought about adding this vent to mine.
Autozone sells them.
K&N/Vent air filter
Part Number: 62-1000
Old 05-13-2013, 08:59 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Going with an open vent with a filter on it is probably the best solution. Get away from the one-way spring loaded vent which can stick. If they would have used a Teflon seal instead of rubber in the vent, it probably wouldn't stick and have problems. The rubber tends to stick, and then the differential builds up lots of pressure and will finally make the vent pop open and puke oil out.

There's a thread or two in the Tech forum I believe that talks about using an open vent to cure the puking.

Get notified of new replies

To Leaky butt question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaky butt question