C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Coolant Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Fourced4cyl
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago1
Clean that crap that you say is blocking it and you should be gtg. 235 is when the second fan comes on or 236. I know 8vette7 has the fan operating temp from the manual. So do I if you search my user name. You are chasing nothing your car is running exactly as it should with factory setting. If you want cooler temps get a 160 thermostat and have your fans reprogrammed. I'm posting from my phone if you can't find the post I'm talking about when I jump on a PC ill paste it up here. You are chasing nothing.unless its still going past that like your first post said.
I made a harbor freight run for the extendable air gun which I will modify and thoroughly clean the radiator. I did not let it get to the 235 mark to see if the fans came on then.

Originally Posted by racebum
you found your first problem

cleaning the radiator is a great idea and all

but fans not coming on when the engine is at 235 is a big deal

start troubleshooting.

fan relays are cheap

part number is D7065c

all of $4.16 ea at rock auto. if i remember right there are 3 of these for the cooling fans right there by the battery
I was going to pop the relays out and test them, but at that price it may be worth just replacing them. This car has very low miles, but has been sitting for maybe 4-6 months. It is still in the process of waking up again so I figure I will be chasing a few things like this.

Also, according to the wiring schematic earlier in this thread I think there are multiple relay part numbers?
Old 06-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Let it go to 235 and see if it kicks on wouldn't your issues be solves knowing your system is working correctly? Hey 8vette7 post up that info from the manual about when the fans come on. Still haven't got to a PC.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Fourced4cyl
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Chicago1
Let it go to 235 and see if it kicks on wouldn't your issues be solves knowing your system is working correctly? Hey 8vette7 post up that info from the manual about when the fans come on. Still haven't got to a PC.

Seeing if they kick in at 235 is fine to know, but it still means there is a problem. Overheating peeves me especially when it is street driving. When the car is pushed the problem will only be worse.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:25 PM
luckstr
Advanced

Am I understanding all of this correctly ? When my vette 2004 C5) exceeds 35 MPH (whether the AC is on or off) the fans are commanded off and they never come on again until the speed drops below 35 MPH ???
Old 06-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Fourced4cyl
6th Gear

Originally Posted by luckstr
Am I understanding all of this correctly ? When my vette 2004 C5) exceeds 35 MPH (whether the AC is on or off) the fans are commanded off and they never come on again until the speed drops below 35 MPH ???

Yes because the car will intake and flow more air than the fans can move. A running fan will reduce air movement through the cooling system when you have a high volume of air being provided by the movement of the car.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:13 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Fourced4cyl
Seeing if they kick in at 235 is fine to know, but it still means there is a problem. Overheating peeves me especially when it is street driving. When the car is pushed the problem will only be worse.
235 is not overheating that's OEM that's normal this time of year. Unless you are saying it goes above that? 8vette7 can you post that reference from the manual still haven't gotten on a PC. If your sitting in traffic it will reach 235 thats perfectly normal how GM intended to.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:32 PM
Adrenalin521
Intermediate

This deserves a bump!
Old 06-19-2014, 10:56 PM
MBrianB
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrenalin521
This deserves a bump!

Are all the reports of temperature readings based on the gauge or the DIC?

The gauge marks are confusing. If the lower mark is 100 and the middle top is 220 then each mark is 15 degrees. Or the larger marks are 30 degrees. There are some who say they run at 195 degrees so that would be just under the shorter mark just before the 220 degree large mark.

The reason I am asking is I was doing some twisties on some inclines and I got up to the 250 mark for a short period. I was over 35 mph and the outside temp was around 70. I have an A4 so was the trans contributing to the temp increase. I was a lot in second and third climbing the hills on Santa Rosa Road just outside of Cambria.

Got home and checked the radiator and it and the A/C are clean.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:18 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

I don't know if anyone noticed, but this thread was randomly bumped. The original problem was over a year ago, so probably fixed by now.

I bought an 04 day before yesterday. The temp on the highway was around 195. Stopped at a drive thru and it went up to 230. Back on the road, cooled back down. I stopped by the place (a Maserati dealer) where I bought the car to pick up my extra fob and key and mentioned it to the salesman. He took it around to a mechanic and within a few minutes came around and said the 30 amp fuse was blown in the underhood block. Large green fuse on the end. I mention this in case someone else has a problem with temps at idle, and not to try to help the OP, he's probably long gone.

Quick Reply: 2003 Coolant Temperature