C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sparks from starter buy new or buy a solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Default Sparks from starter buy new or buy a solenoid

Well my starter has been having some issues lately. Sometimes the car won't start at all and had to take a few extensions and give it a whack and it would be gtg for days. I was doing this for awhile for a few months now. The starter is not oem but about 4 years old(had a shop here changed it after some other issues not starter related) got headers 2 years ago also. And had some wires start to melt down a few months ago. Starter wires looked fine had to redo the CPK sensor and oil light(behind starter). Few months later now last week the starter would not engage and I could see sparks coming from it(never did that before) while turning over which was sounded crazy and looked crazy. More whacking and it would start. It's in the garage thinking about just ordering a solenoid..What do you guys think? Battery is new about 1 year old and works great
Old 05-26-2013, 06:54 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

where can you get solenoids and what do they cost? no where i've checked lists them

ac delco 1922a is the reman starter and something like $130 shipped on amazon

since you have headers another option may be a parts store starter. quality sometimes sucks but the lifetime warranty makes a change out easy.

starters seem to die a lot more frequently on header equipped cars
Old 05-27-2013, 08:48 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

ebay has solenoids for 24 shipped or so. So do most other places. Yeah I thought about the lifetime thing but rather save 100 bucks or so.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:01 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago1
ebay has solenoids for 24 shipped or so. So do most other places. Yeah I thought about the lifetime thing but rather save 100 bucks or so.
I would just change solenoid save the money for tires.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:01 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Sparks from the solenoid or the motor?

If you don't change the motor I would at least take it apart and clean it up.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:38 AM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Chicago1,
you didn't mention what brand starter you had put on before your headers were installed.

All this rap a tat tat with an extension is nothing short of Half A--

Take your car to a shop that really knows what they are doing & have them put in a brand new GM starter & have a starter blanket ready to go on at the same time.

It's not going to be cheap with the headers in the way.

Who ever installed your headers, sure didn't go through the trouble in making sure that the wires around the area of the headers were pulled back & insulated from the heat. This will only cause problems sooner or later.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:31 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Sparks from the solenoid or the motor?

If you don't change the motor I would at least take it apart and clean it up.
Hard to see but around the top nut to the left if that helps.

Originally Posted by bumble-z
Chicago1,
you didn't mention what brand starter you had put on before your headers were installed.

All this rap a tat tat with an extension is nothing short of Half A--

Take your car to a shop that really knows what they are doing & have them put in a brand new GM starter & have a starter blanket ready to go on at the same time.

It's not going to be cheap with the headers in the way.

Who ever installed your headers, sure didn't go through the trouble in making sure that the wires around the area of the headers were pulled back & insulated from the heat. This will only cause problems sooner or later.
The shop that put the new starter in it last time was a AC delco(first shop). The shop(second shop) that put in the headers didn't route some wires correctly now that you mention it. The CPS and "low oil light sensor wire" were melted and not behind the starter and being burnt from the headers that's why I had to make a new harness. That was 6 months ago. I can do it myslef the only reason I didn't put header in myself because A dyno tune was 350. They said for 500 they would do the header install and tune which at the time was a great deal. For 150 more it's a no brainer. I'll do the blanket I didn't even know they made those that's awesome!!!! going with the solenoid first and see how that works out. The first shop had to change the starter because the flywheel got jammed and a few other things(had to get new clutch that I can't do at home) so they routed them correctly the second shop not so much.

edit: 17 bucks with shipping..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-V6-V8-Starter-Aluminized-Heat-Blanket-Mat-Heat-Shield-High-Temperature-/111073565770?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19dc801c4a&vxp=mtr#ht_2504wt_932
Old 05-27-2013, 02:16 PM
racebum
Race Director

if you have headers that pictured blanket really should go on

heat is the #1 cause of starter failure and headers add a lot to that area. even if you had your headers ceramic coated, that helps but the blanket is a cheap life extender
Old 05-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Why do I not hear about these blankets on here with so many header folks running around? Maybe they are like me and had no clue. thanks guys
Old 05-27-2013, 05:02 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

The heat wrap blankets work good if you have a heat issue at the starter/wires etc, I use one on one of our cars....
Old 05-27-2013, 06:23 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Hard to see but around the top nut to the left if that helps.
You've likely got a loose connection. try taking it apart, cleaning it up and putting it back together.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:11 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default I rebuilt dozens of GM starters in the "old days" when you could get parts NOT NOW

Rebuilding a GM starter consisted or removing solenoid, cleaning up contacts or replacing solenoid, removing rotating communtator and cleaning the contacts, replacing the brushes, replacing the gear that contacts the flywheel. Almost impossible to get the replacement parts nowadays. Since the Corvette starter is a bitch to remove (have to drop exhaust) when I had bad contacts on the solenoid or communtator I simply acquired a rebuilt GM starter and swapped it out in one shot.
Got the started for about $120 and paid someone another $100 to drop the exhaust and replace it. If you have the means to drop the exhaust and play swapping parts go ahead but since it is a PIA to get to it I thought otherwise,
Old 05-27-2013, 09:18 PM
racebum
Race Director

exhaust isn't that bad on jack stands. it's only the front section that has to come off. you can then scoot the mid pipe back enough to clean the manifold studs and drop down.

an impact gun and deep impact swivel sockets are more or less required

my little 3/8" matco gun worked like a charm. didn't even need the 1/2 to break the studs loose
Old 05-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

I have a slip fit exhaust so the whole exhaust has to come off from the axleback to the headers. It's a pain but I have done it before a few times when my crank position sensor melted. SO the solenoid is not just a plug and play? I have searched and there isn't a how to or much about swapping it out. looks like I may take some pics. I start sabbatical tommorow so I'm off until August 11th so I have lots of time to do this.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

I ordered a new solenoid. The wire that goes from the starter motor to the solenoid was loose causing the sparks because the nut was loose. Figured I'll tighten it down when I tried it broke off can't be fixed. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:34 PM
racebum
Race Director

wonder if that was the problem all along?

well, since you have a new solenoid and that's what usually fails, they don't look too hard to change. throw in the new one and see what you get
Old 06-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Yeah it's a 4mm socket end Ill post pics of a how to when I get started should be here tomorrow or wed.

Get notified of new replies

To Sparks from starter buy new or buy a solenoid

Old 06-11-2013, 01:04 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Well just finished it. Im waiting for my 02 and harness but I figured I could do a quick start while I wait on parts. Sure enough it started like a champ so it was the solenoid. Its a easy swap. Basically its 3 screws that need to be taken out. Hard part was getting a deep long 4mm socket. I tried a few places but finally got one at sears. Basically you take the 3 screws off. Lift the solenoid back and up and viola she comes off. Put the new one on put the 3 screws in and your done. It literally takes 2 minutes to do if even that. Taking the starter out when you have headers with a slip fit exhaust is the crappy part. But 24 bucks vs 200 is a win in my book. PS...It may not be a good idea to start your car in the garage with open headers at 1030 in the evening in a very quiet neighborhood ....
Old 06-11-2013, 03:21 AM
racebum
Race Director

i kept my oem starter for just this reason. it still had *****, just wouldn't engage sometimes. suspected the solenoid. i'll get one of those 25 dollar ebay solenoids and refurbish it sooner or later.

have a new ac delco in the car now but it never hurts to have 2

i love having spare parts on hand
Old 06-19-2013, 07:38 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well just finished it. Im waiting for my 02 and harness but I figured I could do a quick start while I wait on parts. Sure enough it started like a champ so it was the solenoid. Its a easy swap. Basically its 3 screws that need to be taken out. Hard part was getting a deep long 4mm socket. I tried a few places but finally got one at sears. Basically you take the 3 screws off. Lift the solenoid back and up and viola she comes off. Put the new one on put the 3 screws in and your done. It literally takes 2 minutes to do if even that. Taking the starter out when you have headers with a slip fit exhaust is the crappy part. But 24 bucks vs 200 is a win in my book. PS...It may not be a good idea to start your car in the garage with open headers at 1030 in the evening in a very quiet neighborhood ....
What brand/part number is the solenoid you got? my post broke off as well and got a reman starter off Amazon but would like to fix my stocker as a backup.

Quick Reply: Sparks from starter buy new or buy a solenoid