C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help diagnose suspension problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 12:47 AM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help diagnose suspension problems

Would anyone mind telling me how to diagnose different suspension problems. I am chasing a "loose" feeling in the rear of the car (2000). There are a lot of threads about this, but most are people telling you to fix whatever they thought was wrong with their car. What I'd like to learn is how to diagnose the symptoms. I'll try and consolidate a list of faulty components and the symptoms the exhibit below. I don't have the answers, and what answers I do have were in other threads. Please add your .02.

I'll update the techniques as the thread progresses.

Worn Shocks:
(Jounce Test- push down and release on the corner of the car. If the car continues to bounce and doesn't immediately settle the shock is worn. Tire Wear- worn shocks can cause feathering on tires.)

Bad end links:

Damaged sway bar:

Worn wheel bearings:
(lift car, push and pull on the wheel to see if there is play).

Worn ball joints:
(lift car, push / pull on top and bottom of wheel, as if you are trying to change the camber of the wheel. Excessive play indicates worn ball joints. [edit] You may need a helper, one person moves the wheel, the other looks at the ball joint. A worn ball joint will separate when moved by hand).

worn tie rod ends:
(lift car, move the wheel left and right. Use a helper. the tie rod ends will separate and move if they are worn. You should not be able to move the tie rod ends by hand).

worn A-arm bushings:
(lift car, use a pry bar to move the a arm side to side\up and down. There should be minimal movement.

Is there a trans/diff mount? Yes. In the rear of the trans. Check by prying with a pry bar. Movement should be limited.

Verify torque on sway bars and end links (though this is usually accompanied by a popping noise during corning).

Verify torque on A-arm and sub frame bolts.

Tires: check tire pressure (I'm not sure this really helps, but I noticed the problem when I switched to Nittos).

Alignment: (I'm not sure this really helps either, unless your car was grossly out of alignment. However, after setting my car to Z06 specs (more camber) the problem was less noticeable, but never left.

Last edited by Smokin Joe; 06-09-2013 at 03:17 PM. Reason: update
Old 06-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Come on guys. I'm sure I would have had a dozen responses if I worded this thread differently, like, "my car drives loose on the highway, especially on lane changes and acceleration from 50-75. What's wrong with it?"

I'd have one guy tell me my car has too much power and to take racing lessons to learn how to drive my car.

Two people would tell me to switch to poly bushings.

Two people would tell me to change my tires.

One person would tell me to drive on a different road.

And 15 people would tell me to get on a group purchase of sway bars and metal end links, because the old endings are plastic and nothing plastic can be used in a car's chassis.

I welcome those comments as long as someone can tell me what symptoms indicate those problems.

Btw, bump.

Last edited by Smokin Joe; 06-04-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Help diagnose suspension problems