C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serp belt slipping (N/A)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 08:02 AM
EnVmYc5
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Serp belt slipping (N/A)

Hello,
I am having an issue with my serp belt. First time I knew I had an issue is when the car was idling I heard a belt squeek. I popped the hood to find the belt half way on over the Alternator pulley. Not thinking anything of it I repositioned the belt and the squeak was gone. The next time I was getting into the car around town, I stopped for the next light and heard the squeek again. Pulled to the side of the road to find same thing again. So I am guessing when I am revving the motor to high RPM's (cam car) 6800 the belt is stretching, tensioner is going bad and or both.

Do I need to replace my belt and or tensioner with a factory tensioner?
Or I need an aftermarket tensioner?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 06-19-2013, 02:58 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

i just did all my tensioners since there was a little wobble.

part numbers are ac delco 38194 and dayco 89007 which are the tensioner and idler pulley

balancer is a much harder job that has one of two things happen. either the bolt backs out or the damper separates. if the bolt backs out you can try to tighten it down with some flex extensions to buy you some time but you will never be able to get anywhere near the 240ft/lb spec with the steering rack in place. you also are suppose to use a new bolt since it's a torque to yield design
Old 06-19-2013, 10:17 PM
EnVmYc5
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do I need any specialty tools to do this?

Get notified of new replies

To Serp belt slipping (N/A)

Quick Reply: Serp belt slipping (N/A)