C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flywheel origin question..

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 03:29 PM
denis.drc
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flywheel origin question..

I replaced the clutch/flywheel combo in my '02 Coupe this weekend, with a Monster Stage 2 kit & 18lbs flywheel.

While I had the components out, I decided to weigh the flywheels for comparison.

The Monster billet came in at 18.5 (including the ring-gear.)

The OEM came in at a surprising 22.5lbs!

I was under the impression that OEM flywheels were 28lbs..? Factory lightened unit?

Any clues on what kind of flywheel I may have? It's cast and has GM cast into it. I'm considering keeping it for another LS build if it is indeed a factory light-weight unit.

Just want to know if it's worth storing..

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2013, 03:35 PM
gun5l1ng3r
Advanced

I personally have never heard of factory lightened flywheels. I have changed a few LS1 clutches (F-body), but never really weighed the flywheel...
Old 06-24-2013, 03:39 PM
denis.drc
Advanced

Originally Posted by gun5l1ng3r
I personally have never heard of factory lightened flywheels. I have changed a few LS1 clutches (F-body), but never really weighed the flywheel...
I haven't either. But I don't know everything, so I thought I'd ask. Strange...

The flywheel also doesn't have any obvious machining marks on the front or back of it, so I don't think it was lightened after production. The back has the obviously look of casting and I think the stack height would have been incorrect if it had material removed from the front.

I may have just kept the OE flywheel if I knew it was already lighter than expected.

My curiosity is still eager for an answer..

Get notified of new replies

To Flywheel origin question..

Quick Reply: Flywheel origin question..