C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please school me on A4

Old 06-25-2013, 02:48 AM
NotAnExpert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13
Default please school me on A4

So the issue where the trans hesitates to shift from 2 to 3 is getting worse. It hangs longer and longer over time. Going to a performance shop tomorrow and would like to know what the common upgrades are to make the A4 more sturdy.

I know I will stick out out like a sore thumb as a noob but want to at least save a little face with some solid advice. Thank u all in advance.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by NotAnExpert
So the issue where the trans hesitates to shift from 2 to 3 is getting worse. It hangs longer and longer over time. Going to a performance shop tomorrow and would like to know what the common upgrades are to make the A4 more sturdy.

I know I will stick out out like a sore thumb as a noob but want to at least save a little face with some solid advice. Thank u all in advance.
It sounds like the 2-3 shift servo is weak, or not building enough pressure for a firm up-shift. It's also possible that the friction material in the clutches may be worn or glazed over.

Boosting the line pressure, either by PCM programming or installing a Trans-Go shift kit, may temporarily improve shift firmness in a worn transmission.

Common upgrades will require a unit rebuild, with added clutches and larger servos. Check RPM Transmissions, a Forum vendor, for their available rebuilds in various stage level upgrades.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:57 PM
jim993
Drifting

Received 521 Likes on 334 Posts

If you have not already done this, I would first do a filter and fluid change, make sure the fluid level is correct and that the new filter is vacuum tight before installing. The new filter can be checked by putting a mild vacuum on the outlet with your mouth and blocking the inlet with your hand.

There are some old posts that indicate transmission malfunctions were caused by a defective filter or low transmission fluid level.

If the existing fluid has a burned smell, the fluid should be changed twice or more because a drain and refill replaces only about half the total amount of fluid in the transmissio. About half is held in the torque converter and other spaces that don't drain by gravity.

Alternative to gravity draining and refill, the transmission can be flushed by a shop that has the equipment to do so. That proceedure replaces essentially all the fluid in the transmission.

Get notified of new replies

To please school me on A4

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: please school me on A4