C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pushrod length

Old 07-04-2013, 10:12 PM
ehuron
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default pushrod length

I just purchased a set of LS6 2002 Z06 heads with the sodium filled valves. I'm having them ported right now. I'm installing them on my 98 c5 with it's stock cam (for now). I know my cam has a larger base circle, and that the valves are a little longer. What length pushrods would I need with my stock ls1 (98) cam? Later, I will probably put in the stock Z cam (02-04) and have to change pushrod length again. But, for now, what length?
Old 07-04-2013, 10:21 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ehuron
I just purchased a set of LS6 2002 Z06 heads with the sodium filled valves. I'm having them ported right now. I'm installing them on my 98 c5 with it's stock cam (for now). I know my cam has a larger base circle, and that the valves are a little longer. What length pushrods would I need with my stock ls1 (98) cam? Later, I will probably put in the stock Z cam (02-04) and have to change pushrod length again. But, for now, what length?
All that work for a ZO6 Cam???????

Please do some home work and get a better aftermarket cam if you are going to do a cam swap.

Even with the ZO6 cam, you should change the valve springs.

BC
Old 07-04-2013, 10:41 PM
ehuron
Advanced

Default pushrod length

I'm sorry I thought I was clear. I wanted to know what pushrod length for use with my stock ls1 cam for now. The cam I go to later is not for sure. By the way, I am having the springs changed to be used for what ever cam I choose. Won't be over 575-580 lift. I just enjoy driving it not to race it.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:13 PM
bracketshark
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you know for sure they have the sodium filled valves? The set I bought were said to have them but the scales told a different story. Its not that big a deal in my case. Will you replace lifters and buckets while the heads are off? Might want to consider it. As for the correct push rods, the only way to know for sure what you need is to get a adjustable Push rod and do the math.

Last edited by bracketshark; 07-05-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

7.4 inch
Old 07-05-2013, 01:30 AM
ehuron
Advanced

Thanks last c5. I'll try one and check the lash. That is, as soon as the heads are ready. Yes, I am changing the lifters also, plus valve job and maybe deck it. Everything on the heads is going to be fresh, except the valves. They stay.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:55 AM
ehuron
Advanced

Default push rod length

Thanks last c5. I'll try one and check the lash. That is, as soon as the heads are ready. Yes, I am changing the lifters also, plus valve job and maybe deck it. Everything on the heads is going to be fresh, except the valves. They stay.
By the way, while I'm purging you guys for info. When I put the heads and everything on and cleaning the intake, I plan to install a catch can. However, they seem to come anywhere from $19.95 to $495.00 with some minor changes in looks. They all seem to hook up the same way with one person claiming to put one on the pvc and one on the tb. Does the price of one make it better or is it just the size? Recommendations?
Old 07-05-2013, 11:05 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have not selected your final cam specs, deck milling amount, gasket thickness, etc. You should not be looking at push rods yet.

Edit: Just got what this was about. Never mind.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:24 PM
bracketshark
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Last C5
7.4 inch
Possibly, but how do you know for sure if you don't check?
Old 07-05-2013, 06:46 PM
Mr. Big
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

comp cams sells a pushrod length checker..you can get them from Texas Speed. Best way to check your pushrod length. Other then that, your just guess or you have to buy multiple single pushrods til you find the right one.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:42 PM
ehuron
Advanced

Default push rod length

I have decided to do the smart thing and put this in the lap of the friend of mine who owns a very reputable machine shop in the San Antonio area. And low and behold, his friend, who he works with often does nothing but check heads for their flow #'s and does custom cam grinds for whatever your goals are. He also is well known in the San Antonio area. They both told me what C5 said on my original question. The stock pushrods will be fine unless I let them talk me into going the whole head and cam route. And yes, they are the light weight valves. Thanks for everybody's input.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:25 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bracketshark
That's the length you check first. Its a starting point for your sample rod or your adjustable rod. I'm pretty sure the OP realizes this.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:29 PM
bracketshark
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bracketshark
Originally Posted by Last C5
That's the length you check first. Its a starting point for your sample rod or your adjustable rod. I'm pretty sure the OP realizes this.
If you have a adjustable push rod why start in the middle? Why not start @ zero and add the preload you're looking for? Speaking of preload I did a search and noticed recommendations for from .040" all the way to .090", so there is a good chance a 7.4" push rod could fall in there somewhere. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:33 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I don't agree with stock length of 7.385" (they are not 7.400"). If you are having a "valve job" then the valves will sit deeper in the head. As a result, the valve stems will be higher relative to the rocker pivot point and this will change the geometry. If the valves aren't done yet, I would only have them lapped unless there are issues that require more work. With all the work being done, I would spend $20 on an adjustable pushrod and verify the correct length only after checking the rocker wipe pattern (geometry) in case the rocker stand requires adjustment.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:29 AM
ehuron
Advanced

Default pushrod length

I figured out what to do. I got rid of the sodium filled valves.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:34 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

I figured out what to do. I got rid of the sodium filled valves.
Why?????
Old 07-12-2013, 09:53 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most people would have done a lot to figure out a way to keep those valves.. You just gave up some horse power..

Get notified of new replies

To pushrod length

Old 07-12-2013, 11:38 PM
ehuron
Advanced

Default pushrod length

Well, they are perfect condition and they are light. They are for sale. I just need to find out what they are worth. My set up is not geared for every little bit of horsepower, just a nice strong dependable motor. If anybody is interested, I should know by next week, maybe sooner what they are worth.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:40 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

My set up is not geared for every little bit of horsepower, just a nice strong dependable motor.
The exact reason to keep them. These valves allow a much lighter valve train, lower valve spring stiffness, lower rocker loads, less pushrod deflection, the list goes on.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Mr. Jones
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

if you find you need some 7.425 rods I have a set of comp rods.
MP me if you are interested.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pushrod length