C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LMC5 install help requested

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 01:23 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LMC5 install help requested

Hi all
I'm going to install the LMC5 on my 01 z06. I ordered the LMC5 today from Compiance parts on fleabay. seemd the easiest way to get it.

I'm looking at the install directions from the website and it is very unclear on what to do.

________________________________________ ____________________
Verify that the steering column does not lock. If it does, use the LMC5 Unlocker to unlock it later.
Ensure vehicle is safely parked and key is out of the ignition. Disconnect negative battery cable at battery.
Lift out carpeted kick up panel in passenger foot well. Lift out the BCM and disconnect the connectors.
Remove three terminals from the BCM connectors and replace them with three of the LMC5 wire terminals.
Reattach BCM connectors. Attach the last LMC5 wire to the BCM tab.
Replace BCM. Secure the LMC5 and old wires. Replace kick up panel.
Reconnect negative battery cable. Insert ignition key and verify proper operation. Test drive vehicle.

Note: For manual trans or export C5s, locate and detach connector from steering column lock relay above BCM.
________________________________________ ____________________

What three terminals on the BCM?
What connector on the column?

Anyone have any pics of what they are referring to?

Appreciate any advice.

Brent.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:57 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Just emailed Compliance Parts and got a response in 18 minutes. Very good service from Richard.

He gave me an electronic version of the install doc, complete with color pics!!

I'm good to go!
B.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:19 PM
Jumper11
Racer

Installation is not difficult. Just take your time. The 3 connectors connect to the BCM. Once you remove the connectors from the BCM put the BCM in a safe place so it don't get banged around. Follow the directions, you'll have to remove 3 wires from 2 connectors and replace them with the wires from the LMC5 unit. The instructions are very clear as to what wires you remove. Hint! Do one wire at at time. If your steering column I locked, the kit comes with a jumper you hook up to the battery to unlock you column. Let us know how you did once you get the kit.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:41 PM
marks146
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Just did mine...

Originally Posted by MN-Brent
Just emailed Compliance Parts and got a response in 18 minutes. Very good service from Richard.

He gave me an electronic version of the install doc, complete with color pics!!

I'm good to go!
B.

How ironic. I just came in the house after installing the LMC5 on my 2003 C5 w/manual trans.

When I first received the kit I read the instructions that came with it and said to myself, what did just I get into. After having just completed the install I can honestly say it was a piece of cake, even for an old fat guy like me.

The instructions that come with it are very detailed which makes it sound somewhat complicated until you get the foot panel off and match the instruction pictures with what is physically there. From that point it's just a matter of following the instructions word for word. You shouldn't run into any issues.

I also removed the lock solenoid as suggested. Don't know why it's optional. It seems to me this would be required. Anyway, it's done and working like a champ.

If you have any issues feel free to give me a shout. The install couldn't be any fresher in my mind.

I also did the CAGS today, too. Now, life is good.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:23 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 808 Likes on 532 Posts

like all these guys said - it's a quick job & really easy if you just read the instructions all the way through first & then do it.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:55 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

You would choose the LMC5 over the CLB because........? Just curious.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:41 AM
marks146
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cybermind
You would choose the LMC5 over the CLB because........? Just curious.
Never was a decision between the two because I didn't know the CLB existed, but here's MY comparison after researching the two.

LMC5 - came highly recommended by other users
CLB - never heard of CLB before mentioned on this thread

LMC5 - $40.00 manufacture web site
CLB - $49.95 Corvette World 'on sale'

LMC5 - dedicated web site with many options
CLB - Available as an aftermarket from a 3rd party dealer?

LMC5 - very popular and well advertised by users
CLB - not well advertised or known

LMC5 - available through many outlets (eBay, manufacturer web etc...)
CLB - I only found it available through "Corvette World Parts" and only after a thorough search. Maybe others but I couldn't find it.

LMC5 - Easy install. 3 wires under foot well at BCM. Super easy.
CLB - Take your knee dash apart by unscrewing dash pad in several places, pry off temp bezel and sensor, pry off and unplug trunk release via instructions. plug in unit.

After review I'm glad I didn't buy the CLB. The LMC5 seems like a much easier install and a more thoroughly thought out unit. I would recommend the LMC5 over the CLB for sure.

Hope this helps clear up the question, "why LMC5 over CLB".

Best Regards,

Last edited by marks146; 07-09-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-18-2021, 12:16 PM
Bobbychad
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marks146
Never was a decision between the two because I didn't know the CLB existed, but here's MY comparison after researching the two.

LMC5 - came highly recommended by other users
CLB - never heard of CLB before mentioned on this thread

LMC5 - $40.00 manufacture web site
CLB - $49.95 Corvette World 'on sale'

LMC5 - dedicated web site with many options
CLB - Available as an aftermarket from a 3rd party dealer?

LMC5 - very popular and well advertised by users
CLB - not well advertised or known

LMC5 - available through many outlets (eBay, manufacturer web etc...)
CLB - I only found it available through "Corvette World Parts" and only after a thorough search. Maybe others but I couldn't find it.

LMC5 - Easy install. 3 wires under foot well at BCM. Super easy.
CLB - Take your knee dash apart by unscrewing dash pad in several places, pry off temp bezel and sensor, pry off and unplug trunk release via instructions. plug in unit.

After review I'm glad I didn't buy the CLB. The LMC5 seems like a much easier install and a more thoroughly thought out unit. I would recommend the LMC5 over the CLB for sure.

Hope this helps clear up the question, "why LMC5 over CLB".

Best Regards,

The CLB for me did not fix the fuel cut off. It unlocked my column but it killed everytime i started to drive. I just ordered the LMC5 and it says it will fix the fuel cut off provlem as well. If i would have just ordered the LMC5 to start with, i wouldnt have had to install the CLB.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:05 PM
marks146
Instructor

Too bad you didn't see these posts first. Oh well, you're on the right track now. Have fun...
The following users liked this post:
Bobbychad (07-25-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To LMC5 install help requested

Quick Reply: LMC5 install help requested