C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse goes in and just grinds??

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 03:41 PM
BoostSlam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse goes in and just grinds??

So I just got my transmission back from a fresh rebuild and it's still having reverse issues. This is the second shop I've had it at. They said they looked over everything and bench tested it into all the gears. I tried to explain it goes into reverse and just does nothing but they are intent that its something outside the tranny. When I put it into reverse and start to let the clutch out all that happens is the worst grind sound ever and no car movement. All other gears go in without this issue and I know the shifter alignment is on the money. Tried two clutches to try and solve the issue and both came up with the same results. I'm 99% sure it's internal to the tranny but all I can come up with is: #1 Synchro, #2 shift fork bent or upside down if that's possible ??, and #3 the actual reverse gear. Please any technical input is welcomed. I'm very mechanically inclined just to reassure everyone and have pulled the bottom out of my vette too many times without ever having this problem.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:44 PM
Rick@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by BoostSlam
So I just got my transmission back from a fresh rebuild and it's still having reverse issues. This is the second shop I've had it at. They said they looked over everything and bench tested it into all the gears. I tried to explain it goes into reverse and just does nothing but they are intent that its something outside the tranny. When I put it into reverse and start to let the clutch out all that happens is the worst grind sound ever and no car movement. All other gears go in without this issue and I know the shifter alignment is on the money. Tried two clutches to try and solve the issue and both came up with the same results. I'm 99% sure it's internal to the tranny but all I can come up with is: #1 Synchro, #2 shift fork bent or upside down if that's possible ??, and #3 the actual reverse gear. Please any technical input is welcomed. I'm very mechanically inclined just to reassure everyone and have pulled the bottom out of my vette too many times without ever having this problem.
What was the original problem before the 2 rebuilds? What parts were replaced during the rebuild?
Old 07-08-2013, 04:55 PM
BoostSlam
Instructor

2nd gear synchro was being replaced due to it being worn and that was it. The second shop was correcting what the first shop failed to fix plus the reverse issue after I got it back originally.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:57 PM
BoostSlam
Instructor

As far as parts the second time around, 2 gear, 5 gear, both synchros, all blocker rings seals and what not. The problem is exactly the same as it was from the first shop.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Rick@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

If you didn't have issues with the reverse prior to the rebuilds, I would guess it's in the transmission.

If it has to be gone through again, these are what I would have them double check:

-make sure the reverse gear bearing has a metal cage
-plastic fork pads are not cracked or damaged
-engagement teeth are sharp on the reverse gear/synchronizer
Old 07-08-2013, 05:23 PM
BoostSlam
Instructor

Thanks I will definitely pass it along when they open it back up. I know the synchro is worn at the very least.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Rick@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by BoostSlam
Thanks I will definitely pass it along when they open it back up. I know the synchro is worn at the very least.

Get notified of new replies

To Reverse goes in and just grinds??

Quick Reply: Reverse goes in and just grinds??