C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

enough money to do one mod: 3200 converter or headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Bluesteve1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default enough money to do one mod: 3200 converter or headers

I have the money to do one mod right now and I have narrowed it down to a 3200 stall converter or a set of long tube headers. My car is a 2004 A4 with 3.15 gearing and I will be installing my Vararam at the same time. I will also be getting an ECS mail order tune with the mod I chose.

Which mod would yall do? What kind of gains could I expect from each one?
Old 07-10-2013, 12:41 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

In 1/4 mile ET you would gain more from the convertor, but I'm going to suggest to do both.

Thanks in advance btw!
Old 07-10-2013, 01:41 PM
KenShores
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Headers. May as welll make the exhaust match up with the intake. More in, more out, and tune, might make for a few more HP. Might be more fun that way. Striaght line fast is good, but I like the twistys better in these cars. I would hope that the sound of the car would be better, and get you saving for the next mod. I don't really see how converter would help much with basicly stock motor, other than faster 1/4 mile. MY $0.02
Old 07-10-2013, 02:05 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Bluesteve1
I have the money to do one mod right now and I have narrowed it down to a 3200 stall converter or a set of long tube headers. My car is a 2004 A4 with 3.15 gearing and I will be installing my Vararam at the same time. I will also be getting an ECS mail order tune with the mod I chose.

Which mod would yall do? What kind of gains could I expect from each one?

I would choose headers but that is my opinion, especially if you're not a track rat. The car will feel very different after the headers and tune. If Doug and Chris are like most tuners, they will speed/firm up the shifts and tweak the transmission. It will be a lot more responsive to pedal input.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:43 PM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

What are your goals with the car? If you drag race a lot then the converter will give you the most bang for your buck. We did a Yank SS4000 and 3.90 gear before the headers and took a full second off our ET. If you just hit the strip every now and then and DD the car then headers would be a better first choice.

BTW, IHMO, you're not going to be happy with ANY mail order tune. Been there and done that (more than once). When I found a reputable local tuner (Stephen at East Texas Muscle Cars in Longview, Texas) it made all the difference in the world. After having a dyno tune done I wouldn't put a mail order tune in the car if you gave it to me for free.

Scott
Old 07-10-2013, 11:02 PM
tommie
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tar Heel
What are your goals with the car? If you drag race a lot then the converter will give you the most bang for your buck. We did a Yank SS4000 and 3.90 gear before the headers and took a full second off our ET. If you just hit the strip every now and then and DD the car then headers would be a better first choice.

Scott

Get notified of new replies

To enough money to do one mod: 3200 converter or headers

Quick Reply: enough money to do one mod: 3200 converter or headers