C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with electrical issues!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 08:50 PM
ndirishr1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Need help with electrical issues!

A friend of mine has a 2002 Coupe with intermittent electrical gremlins as he states below. He is coming over in a couple of days and I am going to try and help him find the issues. Any help and advice you can give me on what to look for and what to try would be greatly appreciated... Anybody??

Windows will not work - one is up - one is down, they won't work
Door locks won't work
Radio and Air Conditioning worked for a block and then both quit but the fan stayed on
gas gauge dropped past empty
power seats and steering wheel not working
messages scroll says: reduced engine power - stay under 80mph - low tire indicator - low fuel - service engine soon -
low oil pressure and others that I cannot remember.

Engine starts and runs fine.

As another problem his ABS system hasn't worked in a couple of years and I'm familiar with the ABSFIXER so we will look at that too. I don't think they are related because this problem above just started a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited by ndirishr1; 07-18-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:29 AM
ndirishr1
Burning Brakes

anyone hve any helpful idas? thanks!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:48 AM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

1) Battery - needs to be load tested or just replace if is it more than 4 years old and you live in a climate that has 4 seasons.

2) The door window/lock issues have been discussed many times over. There is an accordion tube in between the door and the body get that out of the way and check the connectors for loose/moved/corroded connectors or wires that have lost insulation.

3) For the seat, check the connections at the seat. There are a couple of plugs.

4) Gas gauge is most likely the corroded sender. You need to use a bunch of techron type additive in the fuel to clean it up. It may take a few tanks.

Do a search on the procedure to pull the codes. Have your friend clear them a few days before coming to you so you can see what is left. To get any more detail on the issues, people will need the codes to narrow it down if the above doesn't get rid of them. I would also read the forum and do some searches. Many of these issues have been covered multiple times.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:12 AM
ndirishr1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chaase
1) Battery - needs to be load tested or just replace if is it more than 4 years old and you live in a climate that has 4 seasons.

2) The door window/lock issues have been discussed many times over. There is an accordion tube in between the door and the body get that out of the way and check the connectors for loose/moved/corroded connectors or wires that have lost insulation.

3) For the seat, check the connections at the seat. There are a couple of plugs.

4) Gas gauge is most likely the corroded sender. You need to use a bunch of techron type additive in the fuel to clean it up. It may take a few tanks.

Do a search on the procedure to pull the codes. Have your friend clear them a few days before coming to you so you can see what is left. To get any more detail on the issues, people will need the codes to narrow it down if the above doesn't get rid of them. I would also read the forum and do some searches. Many of these issues have been covered multiple times.
thank you, I've spent most of the morning searching the forum

suspect this is not multiple problems but one primary issue

seems like the battery would be far too simple but will check first

poor grounds might be an issue and will try and look at

saw mention of the accordion wire in the door and will try to inspect but would that cause all the DIC warnings and other stuff? it all seems to come and go at the same time so it seems there is a common problem that causes it all

please be patient as many people like me come to the forum for help because it is a wonderful source of help from guys like you that live and breathe this stuff but for people like me e don't know everything you've discussed in the past and the forum searches are very difficult unless you already know the answer!

thanks again for your help, I'm trying to get as much info as possible before he gets here as I won't have the time to post questions and get answers fast enough to be of help while he is here
Old 07-18-2013, 12:16 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I find trying to directly search the Forum is not helpful. I use Google to search on the topic/issue and then easily get all the Forum hits and other forum hits as well.

Battery low voltage issues are a main cause of many issues with the C5 electronics. Don't even try to diagnosis without a good and charged battery. Only the starter does not care about proper voltage, it just likes amps.

I will follow this and lend a hand. When you clear the codes, pull them again when the car is still running (after a drive) before you shut it down so you get EVERYTHING. Based on what you get you should try creating a thread on apparently related issues. Too much in one thread gets confusing and some experts on certain issues may not be aware you need their help.

PS: Before you pull codes, disconnect the battery for a few minutes. Sometimes a full reboot of the computer modules can remove anomalies just like your PC.

Last edited by dadaroo; 07-18-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:05 PM
chaase
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by ndirishr1
thank you, I've spent most of the morning searching the forum

suspect this is not multiple problems but one primary issue

seems like the battery would be far too simple but will check first

poor grounds might be an issue and will try and look at

saw mention of the accordion wire in the door and will try to inspect but would that cause all the DIC warnings and other stuff? it all seems to come and go at the same time so it seems there is a common problem that causes it all

thanks again for your help, I'm trying to get as much info as possible before he gets here as I won't have the time to post questions and get answers fast enough to be of help while he is here
The connectors in the accordion protector won't solve all of the issues but when people are having problems with door locks and windows that set of wires/connection is one of the most common culprits. The gas gauge reading zero is very well documented on the forum. If the fuel system cleaning doesn't work after a few tanks then the sender will need to be replaced.

Bad/dirty grounds and a weak battery are also a known problem which is why many will say to get the battery checked/replaced. The computer is quite twitchy when you have low voltage situations.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:40 PM
ndirishr1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dadaroo
I find trying to directly search the Forum is not helpful. I use Google to search on the topic/issue and then easily get all the Forum hits and other forum hits as well.

Battery low voltage issues are a main cause of many issues with the C5 electronics. Don't even try to diagnosis without a good and charged battery. Only the starter does not care about proper voltage, it just likes amps.

I will follow this and lend a hand. When you clear the codes, pull them again when the car is still running (after a drive) before you shut it down so you get EVERYTHING. Based on what you get you should try creating a thread on apparently related issues. Too much in one thread gets confusing and some experts on certain issues may not be aware you need their help.

PS: Before you pull codes, disconnect the battery for a few minutes. Sometimes a full reboot of the computer modules can remove anomalies just like your PC.
thank you

will check the battery first, what voltage level might indicate a problem? good thought on trying the reboot... I like to start simple and sometimes you get lucky...

thanks for the tip on using google... as good as the forum is for info and help the search engine is very frustrating!

if I understood my friend correctly the problems all appeared and then all disappeared and then all reappeared which tells me there is a common cause and not multiple causes that all show up and disappear at the same time... that's why I lumped them all together... I do know the EBCM is a separate issue because he's had that for a long time...

thanks again, he's coming over next Tuesday morning so I'll probably be posting for help mid to late morning on Tuesday...
Old 07-18-2013, 02:44 PM
ndirishr1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chaase
The connectors in the accordion protector won't solve all of the issues but when people are having problems with door locks and windows that set of wires/connection is one of the most common culprits. The gas gauge reading zero is very well documented on the forum. If the fuel system cleaning doesn't work after a few tanks then the sender will need to be replaced.

Bad/dirty grounds and a weak battery are also a known problem which is why many will say to get the battery checked/replaced. The computer is quite twitchy when you have low voltage situations.
will check the battery first, what voltage level might indicate a problem?

if I understood my friend correctly the problems all appeared and then all disappeared and then all reappeared which tells me there is a common cause and not multiple causes that all show up and disappear at the same time... that's why I lumped them all together...

I will ask him to use Techron, I use it regularly myself... it works!

thanks!
Old 07-18-2013, 03:03 PM
chaase
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by ndirishr1
will check the battery first, what voltage level might indicate a problem?

if I understood my friend correctly the problems all appeared and then all disappeared and then all reappeared which tells me there is a common cause and not multiple causes that all show up and disappear at the same time... that's why I lumped them all together...

I will ask him to use Techron, I use it regularly myself... it works!

thanks!
The battery should be load tested but when the car is running and the battery is charging it should be in the neighborhood of 14v. If the car is not running is should be 12-12.5v. If the battery voltages drops below 12 then thing will go haywire.

I am not sure about the systems, but if I bunch are controlled by the BCM then check to make sure the passenger floor isn't wet. It is either the A/C or cowl drain getting plugged which causes water to end up on the passenger floor.The BCM lives under the carpet on the passenger floor and can get wet from plugged drains.

If they are mostly PCM and it is a side terminal battery check for corrosion and see if that dripped to the PCM below the battery tray. Otherwise go with the sticky on top which has the location for all the grounds and clean them.

Make sure to get the codes because that will help going forward if none of the above is not the cause.

Last edited by chaase; 07-18-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

You either have a BCM Issue, (its WET or has been and is corroded) OR you have a serial data buss fault.

Check the BCM and the area around it and make sure that it not wet/damp.

If the female connection in the door harness connector are damaged/spread apart, it can cause a serial data buss fault. Disconnect and inspect.

Bill
Old 07-18-2013, 06:16 PM
ndirishr1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
You either have a BCM Issue, (its WET or has been and is corroded) OR you have a serial data buss fault.

Check the BCM and the area around it and make sure that it not wet/damp.

If the female connection in the door harness connector are damaged/spread apart, it can cause a serial data buss fault. Disconnect and inspect.

Bill
Thanks Bill. He says its not damp. Put I'll inspect it Tuesday. It might have been or might be underneath.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with electrical issues!

Quick Reply: Need help with electrical issues!