C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

climate control hard to read

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 11:43 PM
fatboy999
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default climate control hard to read

At times my climate control screen is dim and hard to read. If I rap it with my finger I can usually get to go to the full brightness. Any ideas on what is causing this problem and how to correct it. The other lights on the dials and buttons don't change in brightness, just the digital display.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:09 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Here you go. Also the search function is very good here.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...splay-fix.html
Old 07-18-2013, 07:52 AM
Bill McCassey
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the flat surface mount resistors, you will need to use something to secure them in place while you solder. Otherwise, when you heat up one side, the heat will travel through the resistor and desolder the other side causing it to slide around on the pcb and be very frustrating. I used a small clamp with very, very little pressure.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:45 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill McCassey
If you have the flat surface mount resistors, you will need to use something to secure them in place while you solder. Otherwise, when you heat up one side, the heat will travel through the resistor and desolder the other side causing it to slide around on the pcb and be very frustrating. I used a small clamp with very, very little pressure.
Don't heat them hot enough for the heat to travel through and melt solder on the other side of the component, you'll damage the component. Quickly redo the solder, don't let the iron sit on the connection.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Bill McCassey
Racer

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Don't heat them hot enough for the heat to travel through and melt solder on the other side of the component, you'll damage the component. Quickly redo the solder, don't let the iron sit on the connection.
Easier said than done. It happens really fast!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:58 AM
TOPCATHR
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I did mine with the thread thats posted easier than i thought, works fine just dont apply too much heat !
Old 07-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Baldfart
Burning Brakes

I had no problems at all. The iron I used had a very small tip. Nice and bright again!
Old 07-18-2013, 11:44 AM
maxx2200
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also used the "how to" thread posted on the forum. It was easier than I thought it would be.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:45 PM
Bill McCassey
Racer

I guess my tip was too big. Thats a first
Old 07-18-2013, 02:58 PM
PNW Vett
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I am a fairly experienced soldering person (although I don't think you need to be for this job). I was not using too much heat when I did mine, but the problem I ran into was that some of the resistors were so loose that simply touching them lightly with the iron (even with a small tip) caused them to dislodge. A little difficult to get them back in place and hold them while you tack one side before doing the other, but not so difficult that I would recommend even a non soldering person not give it a shot.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Baldfart
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Glenn Jenne
I am a fairly experienced soldering person (although I don't think you need to be for this job). I was not using too much heat when I did mine, but the problem I ran into was that some of the resistors were so loose that simply touching them lightly with the iron (even with a small tip) caused them to dislodge. A little difficult to get them back in place and hold them while you tack one side before doing the other, but not so difficult that I would recommend even a non soldering person not give it a shot.
When I did mine, I didn't notice any of them that seemed that loose. None of them came dislodged while soldering.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:51 PM
fatboy999
Advanced

Hi guys, hey just wondering, do you disconnect your battery before starting to do this job?
Old 08-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by fatboy999
Hi guys, hey just wondering, do you disconnect your battery before starting to do this job?
I disconnect the battery anytime I'm doing work on the vette it takes 10 secs if that. . I would if I were you especially on electronic components.

Get notified of new replies

To climate control hard to read

Quick Reply: climate control hard to read