C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the actual water temps people are seeing when running 160 Tstat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 08:13 AM
Mtduncan
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the actual water temps people are seeing when running 160 Tstat?

I recently installed a 160 thermostat on my C5 in addition to having a tune done with the fans kicking in sooner. Running down the highway it seems that the temperatures always stay in the 185-190 range and reach around 195 with the A/C on and 95 outside. I did not check the part number on the thermostat before I installed it so my question is is this the normal operating temperature for a 160 Tstat or did I receive a 180 by mistake?
Old 07-23-2013, 08:46 AM
JetMechZ16
Race Director

Received 146 Likes on 30 Posts

Decreasing your Tstat temp does not increase your cooling systems efficiency, it only allows the system to be fully open at a lower temp. The changed fan temps have the fans kick in sooner, allowing your cooling system to possibly maintain that lower temp for a longer period of time. Eventually your temps will rise to what your cooling system can maintain. These temps are going to be dictated by the ability of the system to shed heat, ambient temp, the amount of heat generated, and driving conditions. 185-190 is actually about what I see with a 160 Tstat and fans reprogrammed. The highest I have ever seen was in stop and go traffic 100 deg day was 212 deg. Many people see much higher temps, like 230 or possibly higher. The car was designed to be able to operate fine at these temps.

I think the temps you are seeing are fine and would not worry about it at all. If you see an increase at some point in the future I would clean the debri that collects on the outside of your radiator and inbetween the A/C condensor and your radiator. These can become clogged with leaves grass and other road debri.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:04 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,303 Posts

And also, the fans don't run when you're driving down the highway. The cooling is done by the air being forced through the radiator by movement, so the determining factors are the temp of the outside air and the efficiency of your cooling system, not the thermostat. Your current temperatures are excellent and would be welcomed by a lot of folks who incorrectly think over 200 is too high for a C5.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:10 AM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
And also, the fans don't run when you're driving down the highway. The cooling is done by the air being forced through the radiator by movement, so the determining factors are the temp of the outside air and the efficiency of your cooling system, not the thermostat. Your current temperatures are excellent and would be welcomed by a lot of folks who incorrectly think over 200 is too high for a C5.

Your water temp is fine.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:14 AM
NealB
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JetMechZ16
Decreasing your Tstat temp does not increase your cooling systems efficiency, it only allows the system to be fully open at a lower temp. The changed fan temps have the fans kick in sooner, allowing your cooling system to possibly maintain that lower temp for a longer period of time. Eventually your temps will rise to what your cooling system can maintain. These temps are going to be dictated by the ability of the system to shed heat, ambient temp, the amount of heat generated, and driving conditions. 185-190 is actually about what I see with a 160 Tstat and fans reprogrammed. The highest I have ever seen was in stop and go traffic 100 deg day was 212 deg. Many people see much higher temps, like 230 or possibly higher. The car was designed to be able to operate fine at these temps.

I think the temps you are seeing are fine and would not worry about it at all. If you see an increase at some point in the future I would clean the debri that collects on the outside of your radiator and inbetween the A/C condensor and your radiator. These can become clogged with leaves grass and other road debri.
My temps are very similar, but I once saw 230 grinding up Chimney Rock access road in 2nd on a very humid day.

I have a BeCool aluminum radiator that is thicker than stock, a 160, and a tune that turns fans on earlier
Old 07-23-2013, 09:21 AM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Your numbers are fairly close to mine.
I'm running an SLP 160 thermostat.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Mtduncan
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Guys!!

Get notified of new replies

To What are the actual water temps people are seeing when running 160 Tstat?

Quick Reply: What are the actual water temps people are seeing when running 160 Tstat?