C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't start - have to shift battery around to get it going

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 11:41 PM
SoxVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start - have to shift battery around to get it going

Over the past couple of weeks my 02 would not start at times after arriving to a destination and waiting anywhere from 5-45 minutes before starting it up. As a fix, I just leave the key in the ignition and then move the battery left and right while it's still connect until the hood light and headlights turn on. I've been using the same brand of battery for at least 4 years, changing it out every year with its life time warranty. This also isn't happening every time I start my car.

I don't have the model in front of me (purchased from O'Reilly's) but noticed the battery tie down bracket does not make contact with the excess "lip" provided from the battery, but again, this just started happening 2 weeks ago.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

OH MY LORD! PLEASE,, purchase what you need to properly secure the battery in the battery tray. If you hit a bump, it is possible for the battery to rip out the terminals and spill acid.. Guess where it goes??????

DIRECTLY ON THE PCM that is mounted directly below the battery!

The “MOST LIKELY” reason that you are having cranking issues is, "Your battery terminals are loose and corroded"

Remove BOTH battery cables. Use a wire brush and clean the battery terminals and the cable terminals.

You MUST TORQUE the battery cable so to the battery to 11 ft/lbs for proper battery to battery cable connections.

IF,,,, you can move the cable on the battery terminals by hand, they are WAY TOO LOOSE and are not making proper connection to provide enough electrical current for the starter to operate properly and crank the engine.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:15 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
OH MY LORD! PLEASE,, purchase what you need to properly secure the battery in the battery tray. If you hit a bump, it is possible for the battery to rip out the terminals and spill acid.. Guess where it goes??????

DIRECTLY ON THE PCM that is mounted directly below the battery!

The “MOST LIKELY” reason that you are having cranking issues is, "Your battery terminals are loose and corroded"

Remove BOTH battery cables. Use a wire brush and clean the battery terminals and the cable terminals.

You MUST TORQUE the battery cable so to the battery to 11 ft/lbs for proper battery to battery cable connections.

IF,,,, you can move the cable on the battery terminals by hand, they are WAY TOO LOOSE and are not making proper connection to provide enough electrical current for the starter to operate properly and crank the engine.

Get notified of new replies

To Car won't start - have to shift battery around to get it going

Quick Reply: Car won't start - have to shift battery around to get it going