C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'98 Convertible BCM

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 06:54 PM
Fabi
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '98 Convertible BCM

Hi guys, i need to buy a BCM for a friend of mine. He has a 98 Convertible and the BCM Service NO is 09352821

Can i buy BCMs with another Service NO ? If yes, what Service NO can i buy ? I saw the most common are 16263141, 10304931 and 16268111

I would like to buy it from eBay and used.

Thank you
Old 07-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Fabi
Banned Scam/Spammer

Can anyone help me ? Thanks
Old 07-25-2013, 09:58 AM
00Vette04GTO
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fabi
Can anyone help me ? Thanks
Just because you haven't gotten a response as of yet...

I personally don't think you will have much luck unless you get the right model BCM. There could be one small difference in the serial communication or wiring and it probably isn't going to work or fry out the other electronics.

If you can not find the right one - before I put another model BCM in my car I would study the wiring diagrams for each and search hard on forums for anyone else who has done this.

Are you sure his BCM is bad - and it is not a serialization or other issue?

-Mike
Old 07-25-2013, 09:59 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, it's really not worth it to buy used. You'll have to take it to the dealer to program anyway and most will turn their noses up at a used one.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Fabi
Banned Scam/Spammer

Yes, the dealer told him the BCM is the problem. Here in Romania the dealer makes you pay at least 3 or 4 times more the BCM than in the USA and at least 1000$ to install it and program it

Fortunatelly a friend of mine can install it and program it to but i just need to buy one. I would like to buy it used because i'll have to pay the shipping wich isn't that cheap to Romania and also the taxes wich are more than 30% of the item price + shipping cost and i don't think there is such a difference if it's used or new..

Thank you for your help guys.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:28 AM
00Vette04GTO
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fabi
Yes, the dealer told him the BCM is the problem. Here in Romania the dealer makes you pay at least 3 or 4 times more the BCM than in the USA and at least 1000$ to install it and program it

Fortunatelly a friend of mine can install it and program it to but i just need to buy one. I would like to buy it used because i'll have to pay the shipping wich isn't that cheap to Romania and also the taxes wich are more than 30% of the item price + shipping cost

Thank you for your help guys.
Ahhh... I understand you there... You could always buy from a dealer here in the US if you have to - ship it and still save money, right? - But I would look in US junkyards and eBay (daily). With patience and persistence I have always been able to find those impossible parts to locate. Sometimes you just have to pay - which in your case will probably come a lot cheaper than a local dealer.

Also if you guys have any tech knowhow and time - I would verify that it is the BCM and the dealer isnt just trying to hit you guys over a very common serialization issue in these cars. If you could explain symptons I could probably tell you some jumpers (thanks Bill) you can pull to recalibrate your computers.

-Mike

----
Added:

Thought about this a little more, and you might can change your BCM model (maybe with some wiring mods- have not looked at the diagrams)... But if that worked I'm assuming you'd probably need new seat modules and all other modules that communicate to the BCM as well - to match. Maybe even new PCM to match - but might get lucky any not need this.

None of my info here is guaranteed correct... It is just coming from many hobby years of experience working newer cars and their electronics. I just got my first Vette about 6 months ago and am learning their systems as I go. I just hope maybe it can be used as general enough info to show you your options/results so you can make an educated decision on how to proceed. Many other people on these forums know much more than me.

But I personally would verify BCM for myself (atleast through explaining symptoms/codes here and getting opinions) before going to all this trouble.

Last edited by 00Vette04GTO; 07-25-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:04 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Buying a used BCM from another country seem quite dangerous.

Get notified of new replies

To '98 Convertible BCM

Quick Reply: '98 Convertible BCM