C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate Control Fix Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 07:02 PM
mass427
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate Control Fix Help!!

So I tried to fix the fan speed bulb in my climate control. Somehow a drop of solder had fallen between the two leads on the bulb and when I went to test the climate control I saw of tiny puff of smoke and immediately turned off the lights. I looked at the circuit board and i burned up the tracer leading to the bulb. Next I took the bulb completely off the board. When I plugged the climate control back into the car I get nothing. No lights, no display, and none of the buttons work. I checked all the fuses and they seem good. I swapped the hvac relay with another relay and still nothing. So my questions are as follows: Is there a climate control module in the car I might have harmed or Are there any fuses i might have missed or What fuses or relays control that. I am ok with buying a new climate control but I want to make sure that it isn't something else wrong with the car. Please Help!! Thanks
Old 07-26-2013, 11:17 AM
00Vette04GTO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mass427
So I tried to fix the fan speed bulb in my climate control. Somehow a drop of solder had fallen between the two leads on the bulb and when I went to test the climate control I saw of tiny puff of smoke and immediately turned off the lights. I looked at the circuit board and i burned up the tracer leading to the bulb. Next I took the bulb completely off the board. When I plugged the climate control back into the car I get nothing. No lights, no display, and none of the buttons work. I checked all the fuses and they seem good. I swapped the hvac relay with another relay and still nothing. So my questions are as follows: Is there a climate control module in the car I might have harmed or Are there any fuses i might have missed or What fuses or relays control that. I am ok with buying a new climate control but I want to make sure that it isn't something else wrong with the car. Please Help!! Thanks
I see you have gotten no replies - so I'll jump in here for what it's worth and at the least it is gonna bump this to the top for ya.

You most probably just fried that climate control unit. Have you checked the voltage coming in? (i have no schematic of that particular circuit)

As far as if you fried any other modules - Check your codes using your display and see if you have any comm errors.

But hopefully it stopped at that climate control circuit - so long as you didnt leave it on too long. Otherwise you'd probably see burned wires and popped fuses.

(but yes these cars have sensitive electrical circuits in them. Yes they all have several common connections and serial connections so you can burn things down the line. )

I'd personally buy the climate controls and cross my fingers

But If you are asking if the climate controls might still be good, and something else wrong - I HIGHLY doubt the controls are any good. That was the weakest point of failure if a fuse didnt pop. Your best scenario is for it to have burned that up and not have passed it down the line.

Last edited by 00Vette04GTO; 07-26-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:30 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Pull your codes and see what you have. Hopefully you just fried the unit and not the BCM input or the serial bus input. I would bet you just fried the unit and everything else is fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Climate Control Fix Help!!

Quick Reply: Climate Control Fix Help!!