C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Drain/Hazard-turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 01:01 AM
SPDaylightFan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery Drain/Hazard-turn signal problem

It is probably best if I just share with you the sequence of events as best I can.
My C5 is stock all the way. Six months or so ago the battery started going dead over night. I do mean dead, not enough to light the under hood light. I would charge the battery and it would start and run with everything electrical normal. Over night the battery would drain again. On the side...about a year ago I had the hazard switch replaced but honestly I do not remember the sequence of events that led to the replacement. Back to current problem. I sat in the vette one night and just started pushing every button to see if I could find a problem. All the fuses were good not were blown. As I pressed the hazard button, it made a brief noise that I cannot describe and would not work again. I drove the car the next day and noticed that I had no turn signals or brake lights....all else ok. Checking fuses the turn signal fuses both under dash and under the hood both were blown. I replaced them and had turn signals until I pressed hazard switch it blew the fuse again. So, I guess replace the hazard switch again. Why do they go bad so often, do I have a problem elsewhere that I am missing. The last time cost me several hundred dollars to fix it and I was left with a rattle on the left side of the dash. I assume he screwed it up. This time I will follow the 18 minute directions on this forum. Any ideas on what causes the switch to go bad?
Old 08-14-2015, 11:17 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Not at home now but I can work with you. When you put the Hazards on you are feeding the HS from another power source AND you are feeding the front signals via a different circuit from the HS and not thru the MF switch.

I doubt your issue is the HS.

Mr. Sam

PS: The Blue wires feed the front signals
Old 08-14-2015, 05:15 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Please follow Chucks (8VETTE7) guidance and let us know what happens. This should be simple to resolve.

Make sure no lights are on at night. Been there, done that, with a deck lid not closed.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:18 AM
SPDaylightFan
Instructor

Default Forgot!!

I was tired and I know that I should have mentioned this. If I charge the battery and do not replace the two mentioned blown fuses......all is well. So far the battery has held a charge for a week! Of course, without the fuses I have no brake lights or turn signals.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:40 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

So we are clear please confirm the fuses that were blown and you removed (and in what fuse box).

I would think you are talking about fuse 15 for the Turn Signals and fuse 8 for the Hazards and Brake lights, both in the I/P fuse box. Based on your initial post I think it was one of those and another in the engine fuse box so this info is important.

Can you use an Ohmmeter to measure resistance so we can look for a short

Mr. Sam

Last edited by dadaroo; 08-15-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:45 AM
SPDaylightFan
Instructor

Originally Posted by dadaroo
So we are clear please confirm the fuses that were blown and you removed (and in what fuse box).

I would think you are talking about fuse 15 for the Turn Signals and fuse 8 for the Hazards and Brake lights, both in the I/P fuse box. Based on your initial post I think it was one of those and another in the engine fuse box so this info is important.

Can you use an Ohmmeter to measure resistance so we can look for a short

Mr. Sam
I am not home so from memory the fuses were marked as turn signals or brake light, both yellow(is that 20 amp) anyway one is under the dash the other under the hood next to battery.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:01 AM
SPDaylightFan
Instructor

I guess memory does not serve me too well, 72 years has taken its tole. I went under thr hood to get a spare fuse, I replaced nothing there. Under the dash you are correct 8 and 15 are both blown. The battery is fine it is still fully charged with those fuses out. Sorry for the confusion.

Must be interesting in the service department when someone messes up like this and you are trying to diagnose a problem.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:30 AM
SPDaylightFan
Instructor

Mr. Sam
I just went out to verify what I told you above. Yes on 8 and 15. While I was there I turned on the ignition. I got a high-pitched squeal a Buzzy kind of noise from the center behind the dashboard. In a matter of five seconds it killed the battery to the point where the was absolutely no power. I put the battery charger on quick charge brought it up turned the key on again and everything is normal all lights sounds and messages. Sounds to me like I've got more issues than I thought. I wonder if anybody would like to buy a C-5 project car. I've had it we've had a good 15 years.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:55 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Your battery must have been very close to being dead before you turned the key on. There is no way the ignition switch or any of the cars wiring could withstand the amount of current required to drain a properly charged battery in 5 seconds. Even the wire to the starter motor would burn-down carrying enough current to drain a battery in 5 seconds.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:08 PM
SPDaylightFan
Instructor

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Your battery must have been very close to being dead before you turned the key on. There is no way the ignition switch or any of the cars wiring could withstand the amount of current required to drain a properly charged battery in 5 seconds. Even the wire to the starter motor would burn-down carrying enough current to drain a battery in 5 seconds.
You know just a thought....perhaps I have a bad ground somewhere. I agree about the wire being unable to carry that much current. Confusing.. I hate to take it in and pay them $100 an hour to go fishing but!

It is summer and it sits in the garage....grrrrrrrrr

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Drain/Hazard-turn signal problem

Quick Reply: Battery Drain/Hazard-turn signal problem