C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 MAF Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Mr. Sinister
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Z06 MAF Questions

So I recently bought a high milage '01 Z06. It appears to be pretty much all stock performance wise. The other day I installed a carbon fiber air bridge I got from my cousin. When I was cleaning the MAF I noticed that it had no screen in it. I know the '01's all had a screen, but that they eliminated it in '02. I think the MAF also had a different frequency or something was different about it that made it idle properly without the screen. This one seems to have good idle and there are no codes, but Im trying to figure out if this is really a de-screened '01 MAF, or if someone at some point swapped over an '02+. Is the '02+ a direct "plug and play" for an '01 Z?

The only thing I notice about this car is that it has a funny dead spot in the middle of the power band at WOT. This may be caused by turbulence going through this MAF if its just a de-screened '01. It pulls hard, then it sort of dropps off a little for a second, then pulls hard again.

The final question I have involves an old SLP MAF from a 2000 f-body I had a few years ago. The MAF is 85 mm and would swap over without the f-body pigtail on it. The T/A was far from stock and I was told that it was a Z06 MAF (which is appears to me virtually the same style with the IAT sensor built in). Could I just throw that MAF in my Z and roll with it or does it have some different kind of frequency for an f-body ECU?
Old 08-08-2013, 02:34 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

The airflow through the screened vs unscreened is different. So each had a unique MAF calibration in the PCM.

Changing the airbridge may have an effect on the MAF calibration as well.

With HPT or EFI Live, you can read the pcm, then compare the curve with a known stock pcm for your year of car and see how it should be.

HPT has a tune repository and the stock tunes should be there.

The flat spot you feel should be able to be fixed with tuning.

ron
Old 08-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Mr. Sinister
Instructor

Sweet, that's what I was hoping. Should I go ahead and switc over to the low mile SLP MAF before tuning, or leave the probably stock, high milage, de-screened MAF on there?
Old 08-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Mr. Sinister
Instructor

I was also looking at the Halltech "air flow straightener" screen to just put in my existing MAF. If the SLP will work though and is designed for high flow with no screen, I'll just use it.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 MAF Questions

Quick Reply: Z06 MAF Questions