C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chirping Sound Under the Hood

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 01:21 PM
bbeldin
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chirping Sound Under the Hood

My '99 C5 convertible with 40K miles on the original motor has, over the past two years, experienced a "chirping" sound under the hood and on the passenger's side.

I've had it checked/repaired several times. The first time the serpentine belt was replaced (with an after-market belt); about 6 months later the crankshaft damper was replaced. That fix lasted about 9 months when the crankshaft balancer was "wobbling," the tensioner pulley bearing was "making noise," and the main belt tensioner bearing was "making noise;" the crankshaft damper was again replaced. Less than 6 months later the serpentine belt tensioner and the smooth idler pulley were replaced. In Feb 2013 the serpentine belt was replaced with an OEM belt rather than the after-market belt previously used.

Using the OEM serpentine belt seemed to solve the problem, but on a recent road trip I noticed, as did a friend, that the "chirp" had returned.

I'm at a loss. Has anyone had a similar experience or knows someone who has? Any ideas on what the culprit may be?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2013, 03:54 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

A/C tensioner or compressor... Bout all that's left.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:10 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

try a poly belt like goodyear gatorback or dayco

the gatorbacks especially just seem to be less chirpy

also should replace the ac tensioner. or at least test it to see if it's potentially the problem.

Last edited by racebum; 08-26-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Biggun6969
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently had the same problem. I purchased my used 2000 Corvette and it came with a new serpentine belt and tensioner. After a few miles, the chirp started and got worse. It used to go away once it warmed up then it got to the point that it chirped all the time...enough that I would not drive it in public. My AC belt tensioner was worn to the point that the tensioner would lean towards the radiator under tension, causing the belt to rub against the harmonic balancer pulley, making it chirp. I replaced the tensioner and all is quit under the hood for now.

I removed the AC belt and started the vehicle to verify the noise was eliminated before buying the part. Easy way to verify ir that is causing your noise or not.

Get notified of new replies

To Chirping Sound Under the Hood

Quick Reply: Chirping Sound Under the Hood