C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buzz in shifter after modification

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 12:11 PM
SteveL2
Team Owner

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

Default buzz in shifter after modification

Here she is:

BUT, I would appreciate any comments on how folks have cured a buzz or rattle in a non-stock shifter. This weekend I put the above-shown cut-down stock shifter in my car, and while IMHO it shifts and looks great, it now buzzes over about 2k rpm. :cry :cry If I apply mild pressure to either the **** or the shaft, the buzzing goes away.

Other facts that may be of note. The shifter still has some of the stock rubber isolator. I used forum member chuckster's great mod (:cheers:) of taking the outer piece off and cutting off the threaded tip and re-attaching it to the stock base (by threading both pieces). I also added some lithium grease at both the pivot as well as inside the black plastic piece that sits on the ball at the bottom of the shifter shaft. The tiny rubber gasket under the shifter base tore, but is mostly re-attached in place.

Thanks for any suggestions. :smash:
Old 07-01-2002, 01:00 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: buzz in shifter after modification (SteveL2)

It looks like you are using something like the stock shift ****, and what you really need is a heavier **** to dampen some of the vibration. Also, if you have room, you should try the stick-on weight trick on the shaft.
Old 07-01-2002, 01:14 PM
SteveL2
Team Owner

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: buzz in shifter after modification (allanlaw)

Allan -- thanks for the advice. :) Yes, that is the stock ****, just wrapped in new leather by Vette Essentials. I have only about 1 inch on the shaft to work with for purposes of adding weight; below that is the factory rubber isolator.

I guess I'll add to Allan's comments the question of how much weight have people used to achieve the desired noise dampening. After all, I have a limited amount of space, and if I can I'd like to keep my current shift ****.

Get notified of new replies

To buzz in shifter after modification

Quick Reply: buzz in shifter after modification