C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scan tool help

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Dave-A
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '14
Default Scan tool help

I have a snap-on MT2500 scan tool with the GM 1996 to 2001 primary cartridge. I am using it with a 2001 Corvette. I have a set of 2001 service manuals as well. The service manuals alway direct you to start with a scan tool.

My scan tool only seems to communicate with the engine, air bag and the ABS system. It does not seem to communicate with any of the modules on the class 2 serial data circuit.

Is the MT2500 the incorrect scan tool for the 2001 Corvette? Do I need other cartridges?

I am aware of how to use the DIC to read codes, I want to use a scan tool as well.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:44 PM
Dave-A
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '14

Since I do my own work, I feel I need a scan tool. The Tech2 is available, including software for less than $500 from international sellers.

I am willing to pay that kind of price, does anyone have any advise?
Old 09-01-2013, 07:09 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I have the OTC Genisys scan tool which does scanning and bi-directional testing of all the systems on the bus. This tool is available from fleabay and others - mine was a refurbished unit that was loaded with all domestic and asian models through 2010. The later years will have more tests due basically to more systems on the car. I'll be updating the tool through 2013 when the update is released.

This tool oes not do all of the things a Tech II will (like reflash a PCM) but the diagnostics, real-time datastream, recording, graphing, diagnostics databases, and tests it will do is still pretty extensive. The dealers who market these should be able to give you specifics for each car you'd want to use it on. Around a $1,000.

Get notified of new replies

To Scan tool help

Quick Reply: Scan tool help