C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn ignition key - nothing for several times then it starts with SECURITY indicator

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 10:28 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Turn ignition key - nothing for several times then it starts with SECURITY indicator

Put in ignition key and turned on ignition. Turned it to start ... NOTHING.
Did this about 3 times. Then turned it again and car started with the security dash icon lit. Ran car for about 30 seconds and shut off ignition.
Tried removing key and replacing then starting. Started fine. Pulled key and rotated it 180 degrees. Started up fine.
Saw this kind of thing about a month ago. This is a brand new Strattec GM branded VATS key. Had a similar key I have used for several years not want to turn the cylinder. Occasionally would get security icon at startup or after running for a while. This key turns the cylinder fine but I am concerned that I will not be in my garage or driveway and wind up not starting the car.

Quick Reply: Turn ignition key - nothing for several times then it starts with SECURITY indicator