C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Torque Gear Reduction Starters! Very Cool!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 07:29 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Location: SacCityCorvette.com in Sacramento Ca Join us on Facebook!
Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12,'13,'15,'16,'17

Default High Torque Gear Reduction Starters! Very Cool!

These new ProComp Pro Thunder High Torque Gear Reduction Starter Motors turn the engine over faster than any stock starters.
Producing between 30 - 40% more cranking power, these 100% Brand NEW starter motors also feature an offset design resulting in more clearance between the oil pan and the starter. These new Pro Thunder Starter is designed to crank over the highest compression engines on a hot day. They feature all new components beginning with a three horsepower motor, a reduction 4.4:1 gear set and a Anodized and Powder Coated assembly to protect and keep it looking good. The armature is balanced during assembly and is guided by two ball bearings for smooth engagement and thousands of starts The Pro Thunder High Torque Gear Reduction Starter also features a billet aluminum mounting block that can be positioned in different locations to help clear suspension parts, the oil pan and exhaust systems.

1 Year Warranty

If you have headers look at the measurement picture and see if you have enough clearance. We had one guy not have the nessesary clearance. He didn't know what brand the headers were. The starter DID clear our 1-7/8 Kooks Headers.

Because this starter takes 2 long bolts instead of one short and one long, we are supplying one long bolt with the starter to go with your exiting long bolt. We also rotate the starter for you to the same position that worked best on our engine. Also there is a small tab that is cast into the housing of the starter that touches the block. We are machining that off for you. It is one of those things that you wouldn't notice but it binds against the block when you tighten the bolts down. We found it because our engine was out when we installed it and had a good visual. We have been in contact with ProComp and they want to work with us to resolve it. Its a minor issue if you know its there and nothing you need to worry about because its taken care of when you receive your starter from us and in no way affects the warranty.

Added pictures below to answer some of the questions we are getting asked.

A quick word from SacCityCorvette.
We use one of these Pro Thunder high performance gear reduction starters in our high compression 444 cubic inch LS2 Stroker 02 Z06. It is awesome! It spins the engine over with ease! And you will love the way it sounds too! Its one of the notably best upgrades we have done! We highly recommend this starter for any LS series engine whether it is stock or a race engine.

Only $172.95
http://www.saccitycorvette.com/LSxStarter.html

We also carry OEM style starters. See below.

Here's what you get.

We have added the Pig Tail wire. It eliminates the need to modify your factory wire that screws on to the solenoid. Simply screw the pig tail and your factory wire together then use the shrink tube to insulate the connection. Then just plug the quick connect onto the new starter solenoid.

OEM style Starter $129.95
http://www.saccitycorvette.com/LSxStarter.html

If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!

Last edited by SacCityCorvette; 12-05-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:49 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Nice! Always good to see some new competition in the LS parts world. This piece looks nice.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:20 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Nice! Always good to see some new competition in the LS parts world. This piece looks nice.
Thanks LoneStar!

We made some update to our post.

Christian
Old 09-25-2013, 06:41 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Updated original post!
Old 01-03-2014, 08:43 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Happy New Years!
Old 01-04-2014, 02:16 AM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

A stock GM PMGR starter spins the 565 CI BBC in my Cole drag boat with authority, has for the past 5 years. I believe the starter in my Coupe is of the same design with different mounting tabs, what is the advantage? The red starter is also missing a nose support on the pinion gear, hanging in space with no visible means of support can lead to tooth damage on the flywheel. After all PMGR, stands for permanent magnet GEAR REDUCTION, so even stock starters are indeed also gear reduction starters.

Last edited by Bubbletop409; 01-04-2014 at 02:26 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:05 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Bubbletop409
A stock GM PMGR starter spins the 565 CI BBC in my Cole drag boat with authority, has for the past 5 years. I believe the starter in my Coupe is of the same design with different mounting tabs, what is the advantage? The red starter is also missing a nose support on the pinion gear, hanging in space with no visible means of support can lead to tooth damage on the flywheel. After all PMGR, stands for permanent magnet GEAR REDUCTION, so even stock starters are indeed also gear reduction starters.
Hi Bubbletop409,
As I said in the other post, my 02 zo6 is not a gear reduction starter and I don't think any of the LS starters are. A BBC has a different starter. As for the nose support, these starters have beefed up bearings and don't' need the support. It a different design. I have been using one in our high compression 444 ci ls2 for two years with no problems.

Christian
Old 01-05-2014, 12:54 AM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Originally Posted by SacCityCorvette
Hi Bubbletop409,
As I said in the other post, my 02 zo6 is not a gear reduction starter and I don't think any of the LS starters are. A BBC has a different starter. As for the nose support, these starters have beefed up bearings and don't' need the support. It a different design. I have been using one in our high compression 444 ci ls2 for two years with no problems.

Christian
My 2002 Coupe has a starter listed as a PMGR, also fits similar year Camaro's. I know my big block has a different mounting pad, but the rest is the same. As for the nose support, I can't begin to count how many ring gear/pinion gear problems I had with a Hatachi type starter which they all basically are, in a high compression 540 ci drag car. Finally a company in New Jersey called Franks Electric's started selling a replacement mounting pad that had adjustable options for rotation and also incorporated a nose support, my issues ceased immediately.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:15 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

in for a future purchase. I have SW 1 7/8" and good to know about the tab. i replaced the sloenoid on my starter and it's hit or miss on it after a few months. time for something else
Old 01-07-2014, 04:39 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Bubbletop409
My 2002 Coupe has a starter listed as a PMGR, also fits similar year Camaro's. I know my big block has a different mounting pad, but the rest is the same. As for the nose support, I can't begin to count how many ring gear/pinion gear problems I had with a Hatachi type starter which they all basically are, in a high compression 540 ci drag car. Finally a company in New Jersey called Franks Electric's started selling a replacement mounting pad that had adjustable options for rotation and also incorporated a nose support, my issues ceased immediately.
Hi Larry,
I believe my o2 Zo6 is listed as PMGR also but it is not a gear reduction starter. I'm thinking that maybe PMGR doesn't mean gear reduction. Just my thought. Your 540ci is huge engine, I thought my LS2 444ci was big! I can imagine the strain any starter would have with your engine! What kind of power is it making?

Christian
Old 03-07-2014, 04:51 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Sound clip from Mister Peebody using the ProComp high torque starter.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ry-cool-3.html

Christian
Old 03-07-2014, 07:42 PM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Originally Posted by SacCityCorvette
Hi Larry,
I believe my o2 Zo6 is listed as PMGR also but it is not a gear reduction starter. I'm thinking that maybe PMGR doesn't mean gear reduction. Just my thought. Your 540ci is huge engine, I thought my LS2 444ci was big! I can imagine the strain any starter would have with your engine! What kind of power is it making?

Christian
The 565ci in my Cole is even larger and is spun by a stock GM Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction starter. All LS starters ARE GEAR REDUCTION, including your car.

The 540 was in my Z-34 Lumina tube chassis drag car, went 8.45 - 165 made 900 on dyno.

The 565 in my boat is a pump gas motor, made 825 on SunsetRacecrafts dyno.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:01 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

If this doesn't clear the headers do you refund/exchange?
Old 04-22-2014, 01:54 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Chicago1
If this doesn't clear the headers do you refund/exchange?
Hi Chicago1,

We can refund only if you don't scratch it up while check the fit and it still looks brand new.

Thank you,
Christian

Last edited by SacCityCorvette; 04-22-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:08 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Hey Bubbletop409,

900hp is impressive!
Btw, you are correct about the PMGR. Thanks for
the correction and info!

Christian
Old 08-20-2014, 01:23 AM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

SAME DAY SHIPPING!!!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:50 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Did you know: The name "Corvette" was borrowed from a line of small, fast navy ships used in World War II.

Get notified of new replies

To High Torque Gear Reduction Starters! Very Cool!

Old 08-29-2014, 01:17 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

The first generation Corvette was introduced late in the 1953 model year. Originally designed as a show car for the 1953 Motorama display at the New York Auto Show, it generated enough interest to induce GM to make a production version to sell to the public. First production was on June 30, 1953.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:08 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

The second generation (C2) Corvette, which introduced Sting Ray to the model, continued with fiberglass body panels, and overall, was smaller than the first generation. The C2 was later referred to as mid-years.[19] The car was designed by Larry Shinoda with major inspiration from a previous concept design called the "Q Corvette," which was created by Peter Brock and Chuck Pohlmann under the styling direction of Bill Mitchell.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:16 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Whether your a Pro or a Do Your Own Repair kind of guy, here is a simple but very effective tool to help you make
easy work of installing your LS1-2-3-6-7-9 Timing and Rear Main cover and seals.
The AlignIt tool gets the timing & rear main covers centered perfectly with the crank and installs the seal in seconds! Check out the videos.
Having the seal centered accurately with the crank minimizes the chance of seal leakage.

Timing Cover AlignIt Only $26.95
Rear Main AlignIt Only $37.95
Hub simulator only $23.95
Buy more than one of the AlignIt Tools and save!

http://www.saccitycorvette.com/Timin...nmenttool.html

Quick Reply: High Torque Gear Reduction Starters! Very Cool!