C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unlocking and popping issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 06:59 AM
TKT-MKR
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Unlocking and popping issues

Hey all,
I have looked around and havent found a fix for this issue. Basically what is happening its my key fob is no longer working well for unlocking my doors or popping the trunk. It first started with the trunk and has no progressed to the doors (even though right now it will unlock them if I am 2 inches from the door and press the button a dozen times, but then it only seems to actuate the drivers door lock and thats it).

The locks work if I press the buttons in the car but not with the fob. I have tries resync'ing the fob and putting in a new battery, but I am wondering is there a way that these fobs get weak over time or something?

If so, is there a way to get a new fob cheaply without having to replace the whole system?

Thanks for the help
Old 09-25-2013, 07:58 AM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Take the fob to any Auto Zone they have a tester,if its bad try EBay I found 2 new ones for $15 a few years ago. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:02 AM
JetMechZ16
Race Director

Received 146 Likes on 30 Posts

I have heard of people getting new key fobs from ebay or vendors here on CF. Make sure you get the fob appropriate for for your year vehicle as there is more than one style. I think there was a thread detailing a repair for fobs.

Do you only have the 1 fob? If you have 2 do they both do the same thing?
Old 09-25-2013, 09:27 AM
avigar
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 161 Posts

Check the solder points in the battery holder inside the FOB. I ran into almost the same problem with my main FOB. If you do decide to replace it, you can find like new replacements online for less compared to new ones. There are, I believe two different sets of FOBs, depending on you model year. Be sure to check for the correct part number before you buy.

Get notified of new replies

To Unlocking and popping issues

Quick Reply: Unlocking and popping issues