C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I like K & N filters...but WTF?

Old 10-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Default I like K & N filters...but WTF?

Is this guy an ahole/jerk/schmuck or all three...I think he is all three...whats your opinion?

Last edited by Yello95; 10-06-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:55 AM
whowon
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO K&N's suck big time. Terrible filtration, basically the materiel they use is medical guase. I believe there is a lot better filter companies out there now. I wish this company would make filters for our cars. http://www.r2cperformance.com/
Old 10-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Notninja
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please do not take this as an endorsement for K&N.
The guy is a big-time AZZ. Who buys a product without researching it?
Jeezz.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by whowon
IMO K&N's suck big time. Terrible filtration, basically the materiel they use is medical guase. I believe there is a lot better filter companies out there now. I wish this company would make filters for our cars. http://www.r2cperformance.com/
...I did not know that...anyone else have an opinion on K & N air filters?
Old 10-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Yello95
...I did not know that...anyone else have an opinion on K & N air filters?
Yup... Junk. The video talks about the PITA of cleaning them but that's just the maintenance side.

They don't filter as well from the get go. They don't hold as much dirt (clog sooner) and once they get filled with dirt they are terrible and just let most of the dirt thru.

Do a search on K&N testing and there have been a few SAE and ISO tests performed on them and they are well publicized junk. Much like Thompson's water seal (which is junk too), they run a lot of ads but the reality is they are junk.

Off road racers use those types of filters because they don't collapse if they get wet, but that is really the only advantage of them.

There are newer technology paper filters that have lower restriction than typical paper filters and filter a lot better than the oiled gauze filters like the K&N. Amsoil has a really good paper filter that is based on new technology from Davidsion and it is really much better than stock or a K&N.

Remember that the filter makes no difference until the throttle is wide open (as far as restriction is concerned), so the real difference is the couple of horsepower that the lower restriction gets you. If you are on the track and think a couple of horsepower would make a difference, you could put one in, but on the street they make no sense at all.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Dave02C5
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

K&N makes the highest FLOWING filters on the market.. in some applications I'd rather higher flow than higher filtration. Impossible to have both.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:04 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Solofast
Yup... Junk. The video talks about the PITA of cleaning them but that's just the maintenance side.

They don't filter as well from the get go. They don't hold as much dirt (clog sooner) and once they get filled with dirt they are terrible and just let most of the dirt thru.

Do a search on K&N testing and there have been a few SAE and ISO tests performed on them and they are well publicized junk. Much like Thompson's water seal (which is junk too), they run a lot of ads but the reality is they are junk.

Off road racers use those types of filters because they don't collapse if they get wet, but that is really the only advantage of them.

There are newer technology paper filters that have lower restriction than typical paper filters and filter a lot better than the oiled gauze filters like the K&N. Amsoil has a really good paper filter that is based on new technology from Davidsion and it is really much better than stock or a K&N.

Remember that the filter makes no difference until the throttle is wide open (as far as restriction is concerned), so the real difference is the couple of horsepower that the lower restriction gets you. If you are on the track and think a couple of horsepower would make a difference, you could put one in, but on the street they make no sense at all.
so millions upon millions of people who use K & N filters are nuts... right?
Old 10-07-2013, 01:47 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast

guy over at bob is the oil guy tested some half a dozen of these filters and amsoil really wasn't the cleanest. the wix/napa/oem style were

they also flow the worst. a k&n is worth a solid 1mph which should be roughly 10hp over a wix, i tried them back to back, same weather, same track, stock z06.

you can feel the difference blowing through a k&n versus a wix, way way less restriction with the k&n

ahh, here's the article i was talking about. this is the best unbias air filter test i have ever come across. most tests have a bias to sway the outcome

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

this was done grassroots with no company money involved. in short the more restrictive a filter is the better it seems to filter...this really shouldn't surprise anyone

Last edited by racebum; 10-07-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:16 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This guy is just a ranting ***. As stated by himself, he knows nothing about performance nor cares about it. He doesnt need anything but stock for his lifestyle. He gave zero intelligent insight on any key information such as longevity, filtration, air-flow, etc. Yet is just junk because he doenst like waiting for it to dry. What a cry baby.

By the way, the filter being full and clogged up means its filtering, and filtering well. A lot of geniuses out there lately..
Old 10-07-2013, 06:18 PM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Yello95
K&N Air Filter - RIP OFF! - YouTube
Is this guy an ahole/jerk/schmuck or all three...I think he is all three...whats your opinion?
He is all three. Just put the paper filter back in until it dries, genius...
Old 10-07-2013, 07:48 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

The filtering properties of a cleanable K&N are dependent on proper application on air filter oil. It's the oil that traps most of the particulates.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:14 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Life is too short for that, watch this vid instead:

Old 10-08-2013, 01:21 AM
Dennis Wilson
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

K&N Filters work! End of story!
Old 10-08-2013, 03:48 AM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by SteveDotenMotorsports
Life is too short for that, watch this vid instead:

The K&N Airflow Demonstrator - YouTube
i'm not sure why people still argue about this. i mean you can watch the results in your posted video with your own eyes. just for fun i even tested a k&n pannel filter vs a wix oem replacement on a completely stock 2002 z06

did 6 -1/4 mile runs and every single run on the k&n was between .5 and 1mph faster at the traps. stock air lid, no mods, 80 deg humid summer weather.

never have understood why this new gen of k&n haters popped up in the past few years
Old 10-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

I am not suggesting that K&N's don't have less restriction than a paper filter, but as far as a filter goes they are junk. You could just take the filter out and get more airflow than a K&N too, if you are at the track and running a quarter mile. You aren't likely to do much damage to your engine in a couple of passes.

For street use K&N's are junk. Here is a link to a real test that was run to SAE and ISO standards on filtration test equipment.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

Read the entire test and make up your own mind. I've read it and IMHO K&N's are junk. Even when clean, they don't filter very well. They clog faster and when they clog the have more restriction than a paper element. That is, it takes less dirt to clog them, so they require more frequent service. If you don't service frequently, they are totally worthless. Also note in this test the Amsoil filter is their old, oiled foam filter that has been replaced and is no longer available.

K&N is very good at avoiding putting any real SAE or ISO test data on their filters. They tell you how they test, show the test equipment and what particle size dust they use, and then give a blanket statement that they filter between 96 and 99% of the particles. Good filters remove between 99.7% and 99.9% of the particles. Bottom line is that K&N's are at best 3x worse, and more often over 10x worse than a good paper filter in terms of allowing dirt into your engine.

K&N obviously has test data on their products, but it is absent from their advertising and isn't listed on the packages. If it was so darn good don't you think they would put the data out there and take credit for it???

K&N filters have a place, and if you want to use them on the track, or in an environment where the filter gets wet then go ahead. If you aren't racing the car wheel to wheel or at the strip, there is no reason to bother with the very small amount of additional airflow that they provide.

Last edited by Solofast; 10-08-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:44 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by racebum
guy over at bob is the oil guy tested some half a dozen of these filters and amsoil really wasn't the cleanest. the wix/napa/oem style were
That particular test is very old and really isn't very scientific. It is testing the old Amsoil filter that has been replaced by much newer technology. The old Amsoil filter was an oiled foam filter and they went away from that because it wasn't any better than K&N's.

The Amsoil EA series of filters are very good. This is newer technology that has lower restriction than a conventional paper filter and much better filtration and less clogging than any available filter.

Here is a link .... http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2175.pdf

The newer EA filters are very close to a K:&N in terms of restriction, and yet filter better than a paper filter. These new filters were developed by Donaldson Corp and are really a substantial improvement in filtration technology.

It's what I am using in my car.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:02 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by racebum
i'm not sure why people still argue about this. never have understood why this new gen of k&n haters popped up in the past few years
No arguement here, watched 10 seconds of vid, it was horrid, thread needed a new direction.

I don't discuss air filters.

Get notified of new replies

To I like K & N filters...but WTF?

Old 10-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Come on guys, the video is a parlor trick.

It's set up so that the airflow of the K&N lifts the ping pong ball and any small amount of flow less than that doesn't. It doesn't mean anything other than the flow is slightly less with the paper filter and the flow rate difference could be very small.

Other than checking out the "equipment" on the model it's pretty much worthless.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:09 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Gee, this thread is a bit much. Obviously some strong feelings on both sides. I think this will be the proper solution by letting Daisy strut her stuff. Let's just say that Daisy has said to cool it for a bit....

Old 10-08-2013, 10:12 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by SteveDotenMotorsports
No arguement here, watched 10 seconds of vid, it was horrid, thread needed a new direction.

I don't discuss air filters.
totally!

wasn't saying you were arguing, more that some people refuse to see what's in front of them

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I like K & N filters...but WTF?