C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HVAC issue - sticky blend door?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 12:26 AM
puzzleboy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default HVAC issue - sticky blend door?

Been fixing all the electrical issues on my car, so I have the dash out (HUD mirror pin replacement, ignition switch refurbishment, HVAC bulb replacement, etc...)

I had a B0446 code (Right actuator out of range), and I used to get hot air out of the passenger side in the summer (so I figured I had an actuator problem). Removed the passenger side actuator, opened it up, and it looked pristine inside (perfect gears, no damage, etc.) Reindexed it until the code went away. Started the car, and ran the HVAC through all the cycles. Passenger side blend door can be seen still occasionally getting stuck (cycle **** to cold, and the passenger side blend door remains in the hot position). If I push on the door, it begins cycling correctly, but will ultimately hang up again.

So it's either a physical impediment in the blend box assembly, or an actuator issue. But since the actuator seems fine and there are no codes, I'm leaning towards the blend box. Maybe enough dirt, etc. has built up on the pivot shaft and it needs cleaning, lubrication, etc.

Anybody else had this problem? Thinking of taking the box apart tomorrow. There is some friction when you rotate the shaft with the actuator removed.

Been putting this work off for ages, but while the dash is out..... it's all getting fixed!

Thx!
Old 10-11-2013, 05:30 PM
puzzleboy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone?
Old 05-07-2017, 05:06 PM
blueacre
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Been a few years - did you solve sticky door ?

Originally Posted by puzzleboy
Anyone?
Just wondering how yo made out with freeing up or lubricating the sticky door. I have the same problem.

I am changing the actuators on my daughters 1999 C5 - both had broken gears on the output shaft. The driver's side door seems free and I can move it easily with 2 fingers. The passenger side was much stiffer and difficult to move - I did spray some WD40 on the shaft where it goes into the box and worked it back and forth quite a few times - seems better now but still harder to move than the drivers side - also when I move it fully in one direction it is difficulty to reverse it - feels like the door seal are getting wedged against the housing and takes a little effort to get them to come free.

Get notified of new replies

To HVAC issue - sticky blend door?

Quick Reply: HVAC issue - sticky blend door?