C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plug Boot Removal Tip

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 05:24 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Spark Plug Boot Removal Tip

Today I decided to change my NGK TR-55 spark plugs with 12K miles on them for AC 41-110 100K mile plugs. I have wrestled with the LS1 spark plug boot removal many times but today I discovered if you still have the metal boot cover on your boots you can use the grove at the top of the metal cover to pry with a long screw driver while you pull the boots. I wrestled with the first 2 before I discovered how easy they just pop off using this method. As most of us know taking the boots off is the hardest part of the job.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:07 PM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by craig04c5
Today I decided to change my NGK TR-55 spark plugs with 12K miles on them for AC 41-110 100K mile plugs. I have wrestled with the LS1 spark plug boot removal many times but today I discovered if you still have the metal boot cover on your boots you can use the grove at the top of the metal cover to pry with a long screw driver while you pull the boots. I wrestled with the first 2 before I discovered how easy they just pop off using this method. As most of us know taking the boots off is the hardest part of the job.
Thx--BTW how did the old plugs look?
Old 10-20-2013, 07:55 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Actually they still looked good. Could have waited another 5K miles at least. I am not very hard on the car so that may be why they still looked so good. I would say 20K on the NGK TR55 is fine if you don't do at lot of WOT. I also dumped the oil catch can which had about 3 tbl spoons of oil in it. I do this every 5K or so. I only changed the plugs because I don't think I can do it in another coupe years so the A/C Delco's will last as long as I own the car. Only took about an hour and would have taken less but the rubber insert on my socket came off on the rear passenger side and I had to remove the plug and take the rubber insert off the plug and reinstall. Never had that happen before. My left arm is a bloody mess even though I wore a long sleeve shirt but my hands are ok because I wore Machanix gloves with the tips cut off so I could feel the plugs and boots. I removed the tubing on the drivers side for better clearance on those 2 plugs.

Last edited by craig04c5; 10-20-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Spark Plug Boot Removal Tip

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Boot Removal Tip