C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

plugs and wires

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 02:32 PM
Soobz
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default plugs and wires

any recommendation for plugs and wires
im leaning on taylor wires and ac iridium plugs
Old 10-24-2013, 02:38 PM
jadoux
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Am using MSD red wires and they've been a good improvement to stock, for me it's a trusted brand

Plugs, many threads are around for replacement brands
Old 10-24-2013, 02:44 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

The type of wire you use doesn't matter. With that said, save yourself some money and just get the GMPP wires and the AC Delco Iridium plugs.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Dcollins3208
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer copper plugs. I don't mind shorter change intervals
Old 10-24-2013, 03:48 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcollins3208
I prefer copper plugs. I don't mind shorter change intervals
Copper does provide greater conductivity and are great if you don't mind changing them out every 20k miles. The Iridium plugs provide a longer lifespan. When my Iridiums need to be replaced I'm probably going to go with copper.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:45 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

NGK plugs and LG Motorsports wires. They have insulation molded in if you have headers.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:36 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by jadoux
Am using MSD red wires and they've been a good improvement to stock,
hahaha thats funny.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:12 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Used the MSD's, removed them due to issues with getting them correctly installed. Now running NGK copper plugs (TR5 for stock) and GM C6 Z06 wires with the 90 degree spark plug boot.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:29 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

I went with the ac plugs and ac performance red wires, since they were probably going to work and fit as well as possible. There is not a lot of new tech available to apply to wires and plugs.
Plus most of the knowledgable people here said that was the way to go.

Conductivity of the electrode is not an issue, the ignition spark is plenty hot. With the computer controlled fuel mixtures, everything is tightly controlled and changing around plugs and wires won't get you anything special. Kind of like changing a cord on your table lamp. You can do it, but don't expect different performance.

I wish the guys who just like to hang around and change plugs every once in a while for extra fun would hang around my car for a while. My car could use a more time intensive approach to the stewardship.

Taylor wires are a name brand, I have nothing against any quality brand. I did go to a Corvette restoration seminar that gave me a guideline on selecting parts. They said if price is not the issue, go with GM parts. A restoration , not a performance perspective, but solid enough advice for a guy at my corvette skill level. Makes for easier parts selection in my case, I mostly have only non computer car experience.

The new plugs are said to come pre gapped, but I had to set a couple of mine to the absolute correct gap. Two of the openings were outside of my personal tolerances. And since they will be in there for probably 80, 000 plus miles, I figured I'd make an extra push for a good effort. Plus I wanted to tighten up my idle, as the old plugs were set at the old gap spec.

Get notified of new replies

To plugs and wires

Quick Reply: plugs and wires