C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! ECS and Lights on in dash

Old 10-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Island Boy Vette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! ECS and Lights on in dash

So I bought a 99' convertible and found out after that the car was flooded in a hurricane back in 2004. The owner has gotten most stuff fixed or replaced and the car runs fine! My problem is it has all the dreaded lights (traction, check engine, ABS) on the dash and all the messages like "max of 80mph" "service traction control" "suspension inoperative", etc, etc....

I've seen on here the step by step instructions on how you can erase the ESC and have tried over and over again and I can only get as far as below...

From [Body Control Module]
select F2: Special Functions

From here it showed "unit control" and no other options so the rest from here did not come up...

From [Special Functions]
select F1:BCM RPO Reprogram

From [Setup New BCM]
select US & Canada RPO V73

From [BCM RPO Reprogram]
hilight RPO F45 option line
press deselect

Could it be possible that the previous owner replaced the BCM after the flood with a PCM without the ESC option but my car is still looking for it??
We also found this code "U1064" loss of BCM/DIM communications. Would this have anything to do with me not finding the RPO F45? Please help!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the codes on the dash.....

28-TCS C1288 H C
58-SDM B0026 H C and B1001 H C
99-HVAC B0363 H C and B0441 H C
BO-RFA NO COMM
38-RTD NO COMM

Also the following are codes that I can clear but comes back...

10 PCM P1652 H C
28 TCS C1243 H and C1288 H C

Thanks in advance for any help on this!!!

Last edited by Island Boy Vette; 10-28-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:42 PM
Island Boy Vette
Cruising

Originally Posted by Island Boy Vette
So I bought a 99' convertible and found out after that the car was flooded in a hurricane back in 2004. The owner has gotten most stuff fixed or replaced and the car runs fine! My problem is it has all the dreaded lights (traction, check engine, ABS) on the dash and all the messages like "max of 80mph" "service traction control" "suspension inoperative", etc, etc....

I've seen on here the step by step instructions on how you can erase the ECS and have tried over and over again and I can only get as far as below...

From [Body Control Module]
select F2: Special Functions

From here it showed "unit control" and no other options so the rest from here did not come up...

From [Special Functions]
select F1:BCM RPO Reprogram

From [Setup New BCM]
select US & Canada RPO V73

From [BCM RPO Reprogram]
hilight RPO F45 option line
press deselect

Could it be possible that the previous owner replaced the PCM after the flood with a PCM without the ECS option but my car is still looking for it??
We also found this code "U1064" loss of BCM/DIM communications. Would this have anything to do with me not finding the RPO F45? Please help!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the codes on the dash.....

28-TCS C1288 H C
58-SDM B0026 H C and B1001 H C
99-HVAC B0363 H C and B0441 H C
BO-RFA NO COMM
38-RTD NO COMM

Also the following are codes that I can clear but comes back...

10 PCM P1652 H C
28 TCS C1243 H and C1288 H C

Thanks in advance for any help on this!!!
One more question...sorry! But with my car showing all these codes and "max speed 80" would that also make my car "bogg out" on take off?? It can't do a burn out to save its life but will pick up speed if I ease into the throttle.

Looking for any help here guys....please!
Old 10-27-2013, 01:29 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

What do the letters "ecs" stand for?
Old 10-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Island Boy Vette
Cruising

That should be ESC "Electronic Suspension Control".
Old 10-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Island Boy Vette
Cruising

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
What do the letters "ecs" stand for?
"ESC" Electronic Suspension Control"

Any comments or ideas on my problems!? I would really appreciate it...thanks!
Old 10-29-2013, 12:29 PM
Island Boy Vette
Cruising

NO One has any feed back on my codes!?
I've read many treads on here on got a lot of ideas and tried many thing to solve these issues, but nothing yet. Would really appreciate some of your expert ideas on where else I should start with these. Help!
Old 10-29-2013, 02:29 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Does it still have the option sticker on the glovebox door?
Old 10-29-2013, 02:40 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Did you unplug the module in the rear storage compartment? I think it's in the drivers side compartment but I'm not sure.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:34 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

ALL the F45 Real Time Dampening functionality is centered areond the BCM and the ESC module. The ESC NEEDS TO BE DISCONNECTED from the system for the BCM to be able to delete the RPO Code for F-45.

Disconnect the ESC Module and attempt to erase the DTcs with the TECH2.

Try to step by step remove the RPO Code. NEVER EVER plug in the connector for the ESC module once you remove the RPO Code or the BCM will automaticly detect and reprogram the RPO Code into the BCM.

Funny story;

I had a 98 Coupe with F-45. The BCM in my 98 had gotten wet several times and I wanted to see if the BCM from the 02 Z would resolve some of the issues that I was seeing in the BCM.

Come to find out, the BCMs are different between the 98 and 02 but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, My 02 ZO6 now had F-45 suspension. The damn car was 10 months old and under warrenty.

MAN,,,,,,, you should have seen the STEALERSHIP tech trying to figure out how a ZO6 had the RPO code for F-45! Took him all day to figure out what to do...

LOL

BC
Old 10-29-2013, 08:32 PM
Island Boy Vette
Cruising

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
ALL the F45 Real Time Dampening functionality is centered areond the BCM and the ESC module. The ESC NEEDS TO BE DISCONNECTED from the system for the BCM to be able to delete the RPO Code for F-45.

Disconnect the ESC Module and attempt to erase the DTcs with the TECH2.

Try to step by step remove the RPO Code. NEVER EVER plug in the connector for the ESC module once you remove the RPO Code or the BCM will automaticly detect and reprogram the RPO Code into the BCM.

Funny story;

I had a 98 Coupe with F-45. The BCM in my 98 had gotten wet several times and I wanted to see if the BCM from the 02 Z would resolve some of the issues that I was seeing in the BCM.

Come to find out, the BCMs are different between the 98 and 02 but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, My 02 ZO6 now had F-45 suspension. The damn car was 10 months old and under warrenty.

MAN,,,,,,, you should have seen the STEALERSHIP tech trying to figure out how a ZO6 had the RPO code for F-45! Took him all day to figure out what to do...

LOL

BC
Thanks for writing me back!
I had the ESC UNPLUGGED each and every time I tried to erase it and it never once came up that I had the option to finish and I did everything step by step!
Old 10-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Island Boy Vette
Cruising

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
Does it still have the option sticker on the glovebox door?
Yes I see a sticker as you open the glovebox...what should I do/look for there?
Old 10-30-2013, 09:55 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Island Boy Vette
Yes I see a sticker as you open the glovebox...what should I do/look for there?
Here are the RPO codes:
http://home.fuse.net/corvette/rpo.htm

See if what the label says matches with the electronics say.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:34 PM
Island Boy Vette
Cruising

The more I try to fix the worst it gets! I went to drive the car last night and it wouldn't start...I heard a clicking noise from the footwell area. Opened it up and checked some fuses, etc. checked my battery and the car was telling me it was 11.7 v and my tester said 12.3v. I charged the battery all night and this morning it said 13v, put it in the car and still nothing...I changed around some micro relays and the car started up! Drove it and all was fine, restarted it serval times and all was fine. Then I left it for 3-4 hrs and went back to try again and car made a half a roll and stopped, back to the clicking noise. Battery was purchased two months ago!

Any idea where I should turn to now??
Old 10-30-2013, 04:37 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Call me!

Pm sent
Old 10-30-2013, 08:46 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

OK,,,, YEP,,,, You have to have a GM TECH 2 to service the BCM

C1288 That is a dead or damaged Steering Wheel Position Sensor. Before you replace it, disconnect the connector and make sure that its not corroded.

Document ID# 579582
1999 Chevrolet/Geo Corvette

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DTC C1288 Steering Sensor Circuit Malfunction RPO JL4

Circuit Description
The Steering Wheel Position Sensor provides the EBTCM with an analog voltage reading from 0.2-4.8V depending on the steering wheel angle. The EBTCM uses the analog voltage for the centering routine. The EBTCM runs a centering routine when the vehicle speed goes above 10 Km/h (6 mph). When the vehicle reaches 10 Km/h (6 mph), the EBTCM monitors the Steering Wheel Position Sensor inputs (Phase A, Phase B and Analog voltage) to see if the steering wheel is moving. If the steering wheel is not moving for a set period of time then the EBTCM assumes the vehicle is going in a straight line. At this point, the EBTCM looks at the analog voltage signal and reads the voltage. This voltage, normally around 2.5V, is then considered the center position and the digital degrees also become zero at the same time. This centering routine is necessary to compensate for wear in the steering and suspension. Wear in the steering and suspension can result in a change in the relationship between the steering wheel and the front wheels. By running the centering routine, the EBTCM can compensate for these changes by changing the digital and analog center position.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The Steering Wheel Position Sensor analog output voltages falls outside 0.2-4.8V range.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
ABS and TCS remain enabled, Active Handling™ is disabled.

Indicators that turn on: Car Icon (TCS indicator
Messages displayed on the DIC: Service Active HNDLG Service Vehicle Soon
Diagnostic Aids
The following are possible causes:

A Steering Wheel Position Sensor circuit open.
A Steering Wheel Position Sensor shorted.
Perform an inspection of the wiring and of the connectors. Failure to carefully inspect the wiring and the connectors may result in misdiagnosis. Misdiagnosis causes part replacement with reappearance of the malfunction.

Test Description
The numbers below refer to step numbers on the diagnostic table.

Checks for a short to voltage.

Checks for a short to ground.

Checks for an open.

DTC C1288 Steering Sensor Circuit Malfunction Step
Action
Value(s)
Yes
No

Was the Diagnostic System Check performed?
--
Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check - ABS

Is this vehicle equipped with Active Handling (RPO JL4)?
--
Go to Step 3
Go to DTC C1288 Steering Sensor Circuit Malfunction

Turn the Ignition switch to the OFF position.
Disconnect the EBTCM.
Install the J 39700 Universal Pinout Box using the J 39700-25 cable adapter between the EBTCM harness connector and the EBTCM.
Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, engine off.
Using J 39200 DMM, measure the voltage at terminal 23 of J 39700 .
Is the voltage within the range specified in the value(s) column?
0.2-4.8 V
Go to Step 12
Go to Step 4

Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Disconnect the Steering Wheel Position Sensor connector.
Turn the ignition switch to the ON position , engine off.
Using the J 39200 DMM, measure the voltage at terminal 1 of the Steering Wheel Position Sensor harness connector.
4.74-5.25 V
Go to Step 5
Go to Step 14

Using J 39200 DMM, measure the resistance between the Steering Wheel Position Sensor harness connector terminal 2 and a good ground.

Is the resistance within the range specified in the value(s) column?
0-5 ohms
Go to Step 6
Go to Step 18

Using the J 39200 DMM, measure the voltage at terminal 6 of the Steering Wheel Position Sensor harness connector.

Above 1 V
Go to Step 7
Go to Step 8

Repair CKT 1059 for a short to voltage. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Is the repair complete?
--
--

Disconnect the J 39700-25 cable adapter from the EBTCM leaving the J 39700-25 cable adapter connected to the EBTCM harness connector.
Using J 39200 DMM, measure the resistance between terminals 23 and B of J 39700 .
Is the resistance within the range specified within the value(s) column?
OL (infinite)
Go to Step 10
Go to Step 9

Repair CKT 1059 for a short to ground. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Is the repair complete?
--
--

Connect a jumper wire between terminals 23 and 27 of J 39700 .
Using J 39200 DMM, measure the resistance between the Steering Wheel Position Sensors harness connector terminals 2 and 6.
0-5 ohms
Go to Step 13
Go to Step 11

Repair CKT 1059 for an open. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Is the repair complete?
--
--

Replace the EBTCM. Refer to Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) Replacement .

Is the replacement complete?
--
--

Replace the Steering Wheel Position Sensor. Refer to Steering Shaft, Lower Bearing, and Jacket - Disassemble - Off Vehicle in Steering Wheel and Column.

Is the replacement complete?
--
--

Disconnect the J 39700-25 cable adapter from the EBTCM leaving the J 39700-25 cable adapter connected to the EBTCM harness connector.
Connect a jumper wire between terminals 11 and B of J 39700 .
Using J 39200 DMM, measure the resistance between the Steering Wheel Position Sensor harness connector terminal 1 and a good ground.
0-5ohms
Go to Step 16
Go to Step 15

Repair CKT 1056 for an open or high resistance. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Is the repair complete?
--
--

Remove the jumper wire from J 39700 .
Using J 39200 DMM, measure the resistance between the Steering Wheel Position Sensor harness connector terminal 1 and a good ground.
Is the resistance within the range specified in the values column?
OL (infinite)
Go to Step 12
Go to Step 17

Repair CKT 1056 for a short to ground. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Is the repair complete?
--
--

Repair CKT 556 for an open or high resistance. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Is the repair complete?
--
--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 579582
1999 Chevrolet/Geo Corvette

Here is the EBTCM Power and ground schematic:

Your BCM is powered by NUMEROUS sourcses. Read EACH of the fuses and make sure that each one has proper power:

On that schematic is an Electronic Traction/ Suspension Control Button.

1. Make sure that it is properly connected under the console and that it opens and closes like its suppose to.

2. Check the signal (ground ) at the pin in the EBTCM Connector.

Magnasteer Schematics:

Old 11-04-2013, 10:11 AM
Island Boy Vette
Cruising

Sorry guys, I've been offline for a few days. But wanted to say thanks to all who gave there input. The status with the car now is I've tried tapping the starter and nothing happen, open up the footwell and messed with the fuses again and just by tapping around in there the car started and has been running fine for the last three days.
That leaves me with no answer on what's wrong and when it will do it again....??
Old 11-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The PASSENGERS FOOT WELL can easily be exposed to MOISTURE in several different ways. If yours was, there could be some corrosion on the BCM, fuses and or TDR. Disconnect the battery, and pull the Foot Well fuses one at a time and inspect each one for corrosion.

Pop out the TDR and make sure that it isnt corroded. You can remove the BCm Circuit Board from the metal box for the BCM and inspect for corrosion.

Hope this helps resolve NO CRANK the issue.

If there is corrosion on the circuit board, you can remove it with alcohol and a soft nylon brush.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Help! ECS and Lights on in dash

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! ECS and Lights on in dash