C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing used BCM on '98 Vert

Old 10-30-2013, 12:04 AM
dhaynes508
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing used BCM on '98 Vert

I had better luck. My 98 vert's BCM would not wake up and I installed the normally closed switch in the place of the BCM power fuse. This allowed me to manually wake up the BCM until I could get it replaced. (I think it was fuse #26?) I then purchased a used BCM on eBay ($149 versus dealer wanted $1300) which has the exact same service/part number. I think this is very important from what I have read. It was from a wrecked '98 coupe vett with 6-speed trany. My car is '98 vert with auto trany.

I installed the used BCM and it came on immediately. The lights, radio, and windows worked.

No problem waking it up. But No engine response. I had to do the 3 step learning process between the BCM & PCM to get the engine to turn over. I did install a 12 volt trickle charger during the learning process to be sure the battery voltage did not drop below 10.5 volts during the learning process.

After the learning process, the engine started and stopped 4 times. I waited 30 seconds and the engine started on the 5th try, and it has run great for over one day now. So far I have found nothing that needs to be programmed by the dealer. Everything works including traction control. I may not have to go to the dealer for programming the rpo's into the BCM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing used BCM on '98 Vert