C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Oil Pressure reading

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 09:32 PM
Bob Chapman
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Default High Oil Pressure reading

Just returned from a trip to FL in my 2002 C5 and about 300 miles from home noticed that the oil pressur gauge was pegged at 80 psi. The car has 97,000 miles on it and I have about 3000 miles on the last oil change using 5W 30 High Milage Mobil One. No problems with engine performance, temperature or oil level. I suspect the sending unit. Any thoughts before the dealership looks at it?
Old 10-31-2013, 09:43 PM
Firechief
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most likely the sending unit as this appears to be a common problem on the C5. Lots of threads on here that discuss this. Even to the point of relocating the unit so you don't have to remove the intake every time you have to replace it. A lot of guys have said to go with the Standard brand, I did and no issues since. Some guys have replaced there's only to have it fail within several months.

Good luck.
Rick
Old 11-01-2013, 04:50 PM
thevelvetglove
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cut a hole under the cowl. I did and have replaced my oil pressure sending unit 5 times
Old 11-01-2013, 06:46 PM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by thevelvetglove
Cut a hole under the cowl. I did and have replaced my oil pressure sending unit 5 times
Old 11-01-2013, 07:02 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by thevelvetglove
The method used to replace the sending unit aside (I put in a relocation kit so the unit is now easily accessible on top of the intake manifold) does having to replace a unit 5 times tell you something? Is it the OEM unit that is not up to expected quality or something else? I have had numerous high performance cars in my lifetime and replacing an oil pressure sending unit doesn't seem like it should be a that frequent occurance. Are there better aftermarket units out there? Just wondering.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:12 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Chapman
Just returned from a trip to FL in my 2002 C5 and about 300 miles from home noticed that the oil pressur gauge was pegged at 80 psi. The car has 97,000 miles on it and I have about 3000 miles on the last oil change using 5W 30 High Milage Mobil One. No problems with engine performance, temperature or oil level. I suspect the sending unit. Any thoughts before the dealership looks at it?
Bob, you've been a member since 2002. You should read the forum once in a while.
If you cut a hole in the cowl, you'll spend more time than relocating the sensor and you'll have a hole in the cowl. You also have to be careful when you cut to not let the blade get into wires and tubes underneath. I'd stick a license plate or something metal underneath if you go that way.
The following users liked this post:
c5arlen (10-04-2023)
Old 11-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Bob Chapman
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Default High Oil Pressure Reading

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Bob, you've been a member since 2002. You should read the forum once in a while.
If you cut a hole in the cowl, you'll spend more time than relocating the sensor and you'll have a hole in the cowl. You also have to be careful when you cut to not let the blade get into wires and tubes underneath. I'd stick a license plate or something metal underneath if you go that way.
I do read the forum once in a while and I understand that responses from members are well intentioned and also need to be evaluated. I sometimes share the advice received from members with my qualified mechanic so as to give him perspectives other than what the factory provides. Sometimes those members perspectives save me money.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:04 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Chapman
I do read the forum once in a while and I understand that responses from members are well intentioned and also need to be evaluated. I sometimes share the advice received from members with my qualified mechanic so as to give him perspectives other than what the factory provides. Sometimes those members perspectives save me money.
The reason I mentioned it is that there are three different methods to replace the sensor, and all three are covered extensively on multiple posts with pictures, videos, and tips. Use "google" search for C5 oil pressure sensor, or oil pressure pegged, or oil pressure reads 80psi (or 130 digital) and you can help your mechanic change and/or relocate the sensor. If he's really a qualified Vette mechanic, he probably already knows, this is one of the most often failed and most often discussed issues on the C5 forum and happens on most C5's at some point. I asked a mechanic how much to change mine and he said $450. I thought you might want to try it yourself and keep $400 of that for yourself. The first one I changed, I cut the cowl, and I'd never do that again unless the car was already ragged. I know you can't see it, but I pictured it every time I saw the car after that until I sold it.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:53 AM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
The reason I mentioned it is that there are three different methods to replace the sensor, and all three are covered extensively on multiple posts with pictures, videos, and tips. Use "google" search for C5 oil pressure sensor, or oil pressure pegged, or oil pressure reads 80psi (or 130 digital) and you can help your mechanic change and/or relocate the sensor. If he's really a qualified Vette mechanic, he probably already knows, this is one of the most often failed and most often discussed issues on the C5 forum and happens on most C5's at some point. I asked a mechanic how much to change mine and he said $450. I thought you might want to try it yourself and keep $400 of that for yourself. The first one I changed, I cut the cowl, and I'd never do that again unless the car was already ragged. I know you can't see it, but I pictured it every time I saw the car after that until I sold it.
I cut the cowl, and got the picture out of my head instantly. Not a big deal, to each his own. It's not like you cut a hole in the hood or something!
The following users liked this post:
c5arlen (10-04-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To High Oil Pressure reading

Quick Reply: High Oil Pressure reading