C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 12:50 PM
woodvette03
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default changing antifreeze

trying to change the antifreeze in my '03. opened the drain plug in the radiator. only got about a quart of fluid out of it. the surge tank drained out too. this is suppose to be a 12.6 qt system. i don't think i was low on antifreeze. is there something else i need to do to drain the rest out?
thanks.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:10 PM
woodvette03
Instructor

ok, i pulled off the lower hose and got a little more out. still only about 2 qts or so. i was able able to add 4 qts so far. i left the cap off the surge tank so the air would bleed out of the system but it keeps overflowing and the temp got very high. drove a block up the street and it got to the warning range and dash message said coolant temp high. is there another way to bleed the air out? what else am i doing wrong? never had this much trouble changing antifreeze in other cars.
thanks again.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:23 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Hint: I blew air into the reservoir tank filler cap hole with my mouth to help drain coolant from the system ... got a total of ~8.5 qts out of the system doing this.

Total system capacity is 12.6 quarts, so doing the back-blow trick got ~70% of the old coolant out.

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 12-01-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:52 PM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 195 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Hint: I blew air into the reservoir tank filler cap hole with my mouth to help drain coolant from the system ... got a total of ~8.5 qts out of the system doing this.

Total system capacity is 12.6 quarts, so doing the back-blow trick got ~70% of the old coolant out.
Why not use an air compressor to do this?
Old 12-01-2013, 11:33 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by guido7834
Why not use an air compressor to do this?
You could try it (and let us all know), but I didn't because I didn't want to risk over pressurizing the system. Plus, there wasn't a good way to seal the air hose on the reservoir tank. Guess you could remove the small hose from the tank and pressurize through the hose nipple (and plug the hose). The mouth pressure worked fine for me, so I didn't bother trying to rig something else up.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:13 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

You could try it (and let us all know), but I didn't because I didn't want to risk over pressurizing the system. Plus, there wasn't a good way to seal the air hose on the reservoir tank. Guess you could remove the small hose from the tank and pressurize through the hose nipple (and plug the hose). The mouth pressure worked fine for me, so I didn't bother trying to rig something else up.
Send pics!
Old 12-02-2013, 12:57 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

This is how you prepare for the procedure ...

Old 12-02-2013, 08:40 AM
woodvette03
Instructor

ok, i was only able to get not much more than 2 qts or so out even after removing the lower hose. however i was able to add 4 qts of new antifreeze. i guess i was low then but never had any overheating issues. i ran the engine to try and bleed the air out then turning it off. i saw air bubbles going into the surge tank. i thought the air was coming out. did this a few times. driving to work this morn, i was overheating after driving 10 minutes or so. temp got to 260. i pulled over several times to let it cool. saw air bubbles going into the surge tank again. i thought there was more air in the system. lucky i had a gallon of antifreeze with me. i finally decided i try adding more fluid. i was able to add another gallon. so totally i added about 8 qts but only drained out 2. i am assuming i was low for a good while. the thing that baffles me is that why i never had issues with overheating before if the system was so low? after i added that gallon, the temp went to normal finally. any thoughts? i am not familiar with this type of system. i am use to the older kind like in my C3.
thanks and sorry this is so long.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Use this method bleed the air from the heads..

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...erheating.html
Old 12-02-2013, 03:38 PM
jim993
Drifting

Received 523 Likes on 334 Posts

The air bleed manifold and associated piping, which is supposed to bleed air off of the heads is fairly small. A 1/4" inside diameter coolant hose fits the pipe outlet fairly snugly. The outlet from the air bleed manifold is then routed to the throtttle body, then to the right side top of the radiator.

My theory is that this plumbing system is somewhat subject to plugging because of its small size and in cases where the coolant is not changed fairly regularly.

The procedure referenced by Chicago 1, regular coolant changes, to the extent it can be changed and perhaps bypassing thr throttle body may help aid in getting the air out of the heads. As air does come out of the heads over time, you may find it necessary to add coolant to the surge tank a day or two after changing coolant.

In my case, I assembled a "tee" with valves into the air bleed hose just prior to the radiator connection, allowing me to vent the heads to atmospheric with the cooling system under presure. This also works to vent air off the heads after changing coolant. After bleeding, I remove the "tee" assembly to be ready for the next coolant change.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:09 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used Prestone Dex-Cool (GM Approved) 50/50 (2 Gal)
I drained mine at the radiator and via T-stat housing removal, replaced WP (was leaking) and T-stat (new OEM). I was able to fit almost 2 gallons of fluid in my car.. Most of it came out when i removed the T-stat from the block. I did fill the engine via upper hose until full then filled radiator and overflow.. did top off over flow a couple times but not much.. stayed steady no over heating.. The Radiator doesnt hold a ton of fluid and when the T-stat is closed the lower hose is removed the t-stat is still closed so you wont get much out without the t-stat out. When i did mine i also did the belts and new hoses (had them off anyhow)

* Drain Radiator Via Petcock
* Drain block via removing T-stat (replace T-stat)
* Fill block via upper hose
* Fill Radiator via Upper Hose
* Fill Overflow to HOT line (Top Off levels when hot)

Last edited by RedZMonte; 12-02-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:36 PM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 195 Likes on 123 Posts

I didn't do it myself. I paid some one to change my coolant. Cheap enough and no mess.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:21 PM
RedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

My normal procedure is to drill pump out the overflow every year get some fresh coolant into the system....this avoids any air complications. Gets a couple quarts out.

Get notified of new replies

To changing antifreeze

Quick Reply: changing antifreeze