C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIC read "Reduced Engine Power" while starting my 97 today.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 09:52 PM
97VetteDan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIC read "Reduced Engine Power" while starting my 97 today.

I got "Reduced Engine Power" and "Service Traction Control" while starting my 97 today. I'm planning on replacing all 4 of my 02 sensors tonight due to the codes P1134 and P1134Pd I received a couple of weeks ago. And because of the fact that they should be replaced every 30k miles and I'm not sure when they were replaced last. I now also have the added code P1518 which is what I think set off "Reduced Engine Power" having something to do with the TAC? I'm wondering if the heated 02 sensors could of caused the P1518 code and the "Reduced Engine Power?" If not, what is the best course of action to take to prevent this gremlin from coming back in the future? Thanks.

Last edited by 97VetteDan; 12-02-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:35 AM
Soulefood
Advanced

when i first installed my cam and upgraded my valvetrain i drove it for a couple days before i got it tuned. i stopped and got gas then started it and got onto it. well "my bad" as the car went into a "reduced power" mode. my tuner told me that because of the cam the a/f ratio was too lean and it went into a safe "limp home" mode. If he was correct, and you have an issue with your o2 sensors, then i would say your ECM probably thought the car had an unsafe a/f ratio. im not an expert but that would make sense.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:47 AM
97VetteDan
Racer

Originally Posted by Soulefood
when i first installed my cam and upgraded my valvetrain i drove it for a couple days before i got it tuned. i stopped and got gas then started it and got onto it. well "my bad" as the car went into a "reduced power" mode. my tuner told me that because of the cam the a/f ratio was too lean and it went into a safe "limp home" mode. If he was correct, and you have an issue with your o2 sensors, then i would say your ECM probably thought the car had an unsafe a/f ratio. im not an expert but that would make sense.
I just finished replacing all four 02 sensors. They were in bad shape and I could tell the car was running rich. I've heard that with an overheated 02 sensor the ECM dumps more fuel in order to cool the sensor down. That might explain the abnormal a/f ratio resulting in the "reduced power" mode. I hope that these new 02 sensors make a difference. Thanks for your insight!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:30 AM
Jeffwilson34
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I had a similar problem, mine turned out to be wires broken in the insulation leading to the Throttle position sensor
while tracking down that problem I encountered the P1518

That was traced down to the smaller plug on the TAC which is in the panel behind the passenger wheel well
I had a corroded wire inside the smaller plug, when messing with the harness I must have moved it just enough to let it loose connection.

If you have not checked that yet it may be a good start.
If you have access to a continuity tester it will come in handy.
I did not have one so I made a small cheap disposable one with am led that uses 3 volts along with a 2425 coin cell battery, electrical tape cheap speaker wire and 2 sewing needles.
It was not the fanciest thing but it cost nothing because I had all the things needed in my electric junk box.

Get notified of new replies

To DIC read "Reduced Engine Power" while starting my 97 today.

Quick Reply: DIC read "Reduced Engine Power" while starting my 97 today.