C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission broke after fluid change !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 02:54 AM
Mohammed_z
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Transmission broke after fluid change !!

A friend owns a C5.

Changed the trans fluid. And the day after the transmission acts crazy.

it acts like slipping clutch in manual transmission and then it wont shift to 4th. and sometimes to 3rd. Then tranmission high temp message appeared.

Some say , changing the fluid will cause this. But I don't agree since changing fluids is a routine maintenance in the owners manual.

The main question is , what cause transmission failure after fluid change ?

choosing the wrong oil ?
using the old fluid ?
using the same filter ?

other than that ?
Old 12-03-2013, 03:05 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Did he use the correct auto transmission fluid? If so, I can't imaging changing the fluid would hurt the transmission unless he under filled it and it burned up the clutches.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:55 AM
Mohammed_z
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Did he use the correct auto transmission fluid? If so, I can't imaging changing the fluid would hurt the transmission unless he under filled it and it burned up the clutches.

Thats what I was telling him, either under filled or wrong fluid !
Old 12-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Dcollins3208
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd assume under fill. After an initial fill, he should have turned on the engine, let trans temp reach somewhere within the 80-120 ball park, shift through all gears, shift back to park and top off. Just did it recently while installing trans cooler.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Clyde2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been my experience that most times people don't change the fluid and filter in the transmission as a maintenance thing... Usually they were having a problem before the service, always test drive to verify a problem or just maintenance .
Old 12-03-2013, 10:58 PM
Mohammed_z
Drifting

Originally Posted by Clyde2
It's been my experience that most times people don't change the fluid and filter in the transmission as a maintenance thing... Usually they were having a problem before the service, always test drive to verify a problem or just maintenance .

Good point !!
Old 12-03-2013, 11:10 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

You'd be surprised how interchangeable these atf fluids are so I would say he underfilled it or maybe theres an obstruction somewhere. Also I always change the filter when I service the trans. The corvette filter has a long tube under it to suck up fluid. The regular filter for a 4L60E does not. This can also cause the trans to starve for fluid.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:02 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

How many miles since the fluid had been changed, if ever?
Sometimes if you wait too long, then fresh fluid can free up deposits and cause an obstruction in a passage.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:37 AM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 325 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Sometimes if you wait too long, then fresh fluid can free up deposits and cause an obstruction in a passage.
big time! if the fluid is dark, burnt, thick, has a lot of clutch material floating around in it, never been changed etc, best to leave it alone or it'll likely cause a failure quicker by changing it! Hopefully though it's just down a bit....
Old 12-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Re-check the fluid level. The service manual strictly states that the fluid temp MUST be between 86F - 122F when doing a level check.

I checked mine when it was hot and it was "full". I then waited until it cooled to the proper temp and I found I was 22 oz. low.

HTH
Old 12-04-2013, 02:28 PM
jim993
Drifting

Received 523 Likes on 334 Posts

There have also been reports of new filters that are not vacuum tight. A vacuum leak in the filter will starve the transmission of fluid.

A new filter should be vacuum checked before installation by sucking on the round tube that goes into the transmission while at the same time sealing the oval filter inlet with the palm of your hand. A good filter will hold this vacuum.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:02 PM
OneFast1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mohammed_z
A friend owns a C5.

Changed the trans fluid. And the day after the transmission acts crazy.

it acts like slipping clutch in manual transmission and then it wont shift to 4th. and sometimes to 3rd. Then tranmission high temp message appeared.

Some say , changing the fluid will cause this. But I don't agree since changing fluids is a routine maintenance in the owners manual.

The main question is , what cause transmission failure after fluid change ?

choosing the wrong oil ?
using the old fluid ?
using the same filter ?

other than that ?
Could it be an improper filter install? It reads as though the transmission is starving for fluid. Assuming that fluid level is correct, I would pull the pan to be sure the filter is tight and not pulling air. If the filter was not changed, could it have been hit or jarred?
Old 12-04-2013, 07:56 PM
jim993
Drifting

Received 523 Likes on 334 Posts

The fluid level must be checked with the engine RUNNING. Transmission in park.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:07 PM
bracketshark
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Natie
You'd be surprised how interchangeable these atf fluids are so I would say he underfilled it or maybe theres an obstruction somewhere. Also I always change the filter when I service the trans. The corvette filter has a long tube under it to suck up fluid. The regular filter for a 4L60E does not. This can also cause the trans to starve for fluid.
I'd bet the wrong filter is installed.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:43 PM
reactor2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

My uncle owned a small local courier company that owned several Chevrolet vans, equipped with TH350s. They found that if they did not change the transmission fluid ever, the transmissions would last the entire service life of the vehicle. However, if they changed the fluid (I think it was around 100k miles) the transmissions would fail within 5k miles. It happened frequently enough to make them change their policy.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:26 AM
Mohammed_z
Drifting

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
I think putting new oil and let it drain again will take away those deposits !?

Originally Posted by reactor2
My uncle owned a small local courier company that owned several Chevrolet vans, equipped with TH350s. They found that if they did not change the transmission fluid ever, the transmissions would last the entire service life of the vehicle. However, if they changed the fluid (I think it was around 100k miles) the transmissions would fail within 5k miles. It happened frequently enough to make them change their policy.
This is weird !
Then why there is a fluid change service !!
Old 12-05-2013, 09:46 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

something was wrong before the fluid change that prompted the owner to change the fluid, or the wrong fluid was used. or it was an error in the correct fill capacity.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:35 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

most change due to a problem and of course blame fresh fluid for the problem.

Keep the trans fluid serviced dont buyi into that 'good for 100k' bs like I did. It costs
Old 12-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Dave02C5
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

in autos i'd drop the pan every 30-40k. never a problem here. either the trans is roached or the fluid is low and by having low fluid and having intermittent pressure on the bands, probably roached it as well.
The following users liked this post:
douglasjre (01-17-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission broke after fluid change !!

Quick Reply: Transmission broke after fluid change !!