C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrong Oil Used

Old 12-03-2013, 10:17 AM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Wrong Oil Used

I just bought a used C5 last weekend from a dealer. The car had always been serviced with Mobil 1 and it has 100,000 miles. Prior to my picking the car up they did an oil change on the car. As a Chevy dealer I would have assumed they would know to use synthetic oil. After getting it home I noticed the oil change sticker they had put in the windshield indicated conventional oil. I called the dealer this morning to see if they had simply checked the wrong box on the sticker or if they really put the wrong oil in it. As it turns out they put in non synthetic oil. I have an appointment to get it changed but I'm wondering what effect the use of the improper oil will have. It has been driven about 75 miles with the non synthetic.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:21 AM
onlyavette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't give it another thought.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:25 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

There won't be any problems at all. Just make sure that the oil change guy knows what to use. The oil fill cap should be a good visual clue to him.

I would also ask for a new filter at the same time. It holds a good half-quart.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:34 AM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
There won't be any problems at all. Just make sure that the oil change guy knows what to use. The oil fill cap should be a good visual clue to him.

I would also ask for a new filter at the same time. It holds a good half-quart.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:44 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

It's gonna blow up!!!

it's fine just drive it until you get it changed no biggie
Old 12-03-2013, 11:59 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I would be fearful of using them for any future repair work though.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:38 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Obviously you're not worthy of owning it, so you must now sell the car. How could you let such a terrible catastrophe occur?

Old 12-03-2013, 03:18 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Thanks for the response and glad to hear it's no big deal. To be clear the oil was changed at the dealership prior to my buying it. A couple of guys in my Corvette club said never put mineral based oil in thus my reason for the post. This is my first experience with an aluminum block so I wanted to be sure. I've used nothing but conventional oil in my older Vettes for years but I wasn't sure about a C5. Thanks again.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:37 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

No problem at all. However I would go back to the synthetic meeting GM4718M at the next oil change.

There has been some confusion frequently at the dealers because GM4718M has been replaced by the new Dexos specs. The dealers generally use an oil meeting the Dexos spec. However the two specs are different. There are some non synthetics and synthetic blends that can meet the Dexos spec even if they don't meet the GM4718M spec.

GM went to the GM4718M spec back when the C4's came out with the LT1 motors. At that time the reasoning was that the synthetics meeting GM4718M spec could survive without an oil cooler that was discontinued on the C4's at that time.

I don't know the heat characteristics of the LS motors to know how quickly an oil will break down, but I would suggest going back to a synthetic.

Good Luck.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:27 PM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default And, it is just another good reason to stay

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I would be fearful of using them for any future repair work though.
away from stealer service departments.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:33 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

Funny. Truck engines with the alum blocks don't say Mobil 1 on the cap. Not unusual to see them go past 200k miles.
They going to do the oil change for free?
Ron
Old 12-04-2013, 01:08 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by blue67ragtop
Thanks for the response and glad to hear it's no big deal. To be clear the oil was changed at the dealership prior to my buying it. A couple of guys in my Corvette club said never put mineral based oil in thus my reason for the post. This is my first experience with an aluminum block so I wanted to be sure. I've used nothing but conventional oil in my older Vettes for years but I wasn't sure about a C5. Thanks again.
Well these "club" members dont seem so knowledgeable. Good thing you asked here. Dont worry man, its still a good 'ol Chevy V8. Any good oil, regular maintenance and itll run forever.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:36 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

I've used conventional oil several times in my car with no apparent ill effects. I have however noticed that I will consume 1-1.5 quarts between changes with conventional, and with M1 Syn I don't lose enough to notice on the dipstick. That's enough justification for me to keep using the M1.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:19 AM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Aren't the cylinders steel sleeved ??

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Funny. Truck engines with the alum blocks don't say Mobil 1 on the cap. Not unusual to see them go past 200k miles.
They going to do the oil change for free?
Ron
I think the advantages of an aluminum block would be weight and heat transfer, but you still have steel on steel on piston travel, valve and bearing surfaces. Lube requirements would be nominally , if at all affected by aluminum block?
Old 12-04-2013, 11:39 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

A couple of guys in my Corvette club said never put mineral based oil in thus my reason for the post.
Idiots
Engine is just metal like any other it doesnt know what youre putting in it
Amsoil syn or house brand cheap dino oil it will run just fine.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:36 PM
garllo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to be clear , the synthetic oil spec has nothing to do with the engine being aluminum. I have always believed in using Mobil 1 in the last C5 that I had and the current C5 that I have because it was factory filled and I never had any problems ( must be the engineer in me ,if it aint broke etc...). The other thing to consider is that GM now abides by the Dexos spec and if you check out the oils listed as meeting the Dexos spec you notice that they are not all synthetic so that may be why the Chevy dealer used the oil that they did! http://centerforqa.com/index.php?opt...d=31&Itemid=74 They also state that Dexos is backward compatable. I still plan to stick with Mobil . Best of Luck!
Old 12-04-2013, 05:19 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Chicago1
It's gonna blow up!!!

Sell it immediately!

Get notified of new replies

To Wrong Oil Used

Old 12-08-2013, 09:52 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Mineral oils and synthetic are compatible and you will have no ill effects from running non-synthetic for a short while. I wouldn't take the car to the track or run it to really high oil temps while you have mineral oil in it though.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 12-08-2013, 10:53 AM
NickHall
Madison Wisconsin
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Syn-oil or not: That is the question.

As one of the petroleum chemists that helped run the fist engine sequence tests on Mobile One and many hundreds of tests on others oils I can tell you not to worry at all. Yes, Mobile One is a far better oil than standard oils, but standard high-grade oils are okay for a short time, especially in a C5 with more than 30,000 miles on it. No problem mixing oils, they will blend without a problem. But I do agree with you on the choice to go with Mobile one. I do in every car I have had since the product first came out and we tested it for use in military vehicles for the Army. It is the battle-field oil of choice for a good reason - under fire you do not want oil problems. It flat out is better. It works. 400% improvement in shear strength is just one example. Higher temp oxidation is another, etc. etc. But I will not bore you with more specs. No hurry, top it off with a quart of Mobile one in it when you can, when you change the filter for example. Or just drain it and refill it, but it will not hurt you in the short term. But I would not go more than 2,000 or 3,000 or so miles with the standard oil in an older engine. But others say don't go 1,000 and others say no issues at all in an older engine. No real data on the difference between these oils for a duration of X miles on an engine that is already broken in and has many thousands of miles. But I know your passion. For all my gasoline engines regardless of what they are (except marine) I use only Mobile One. But most other syn oils are probably just as good. I only say Mobile one as I was personally involved in these tests and I personally wrote the purchasing specs for this oil for many organizations back when this oil first came out. Yes, I am that old. Nick
Old 12-08-2013, 11:39 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by NickHall
As one of the petroleum chemists that helped run the fist engine sequence tests on Mobile One and many hundreds of tests on others oils I can tell you not to worry at all. Yes, Mobile One is a far better oil than standard oils, but standard high-grade oils are okay for a short time, especially in a C5 with more than 30,000 miles on it. No problem mixing oils, they will blend without a problem. But I do agree with you on the choice to go with Mobile one. I do in every car I have had since the product first came out and we tested it for use in military vehicles for the Army. It is the battle-field oil of choice for a good reason - under fire you do not want oil problems. It flat out is better. It works. 400% improvement in shear strength is just one example. Higher temp oxidation is another, etc. etc. But I will not bore you with more specs. No hurry, top it off with a quart of Mobile one in it when you can, when you change the filter for example. Or just drain it and refill it, but it will not hurt you in the short term. But I would not go more than 2,000 or 3,000 or so miles with the standard oil in an older engine. But others say don't go 1,000 and others say no issues at all in an older engine. No real data on the difference between these oils for a duration of X miles on an engine that is already broken in and has many thousands of miles. But I know your passion. For all my gasoline engines regardless of what they are (except marine) I use only Mobile One. But most other syn oils are probably just as good. I only say Mobile one as I was personally involved in these tests and I personally wrote the purchasing specs for this oil for many organizations back when this oil first came out. Yes, I am that old. Nick
Welcome to the forum Nick.

Solid, level-headed feedback and commentary is sometimes a rarity here, especially in these (what seem like), never-ending oil threads. Seems like it's one of the favorite "mystery of life" topics.

Oh, and don't worry about the "old" thing. There's a lot of that going on around here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wrong Oil Used