C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Low Tire Pressure warning

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 07:55 PM
NRUSC71
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Low Tire Pressure warning

I have a 2000 Corvette. I get a Low Tire Pressure message soon after I start up and then intermittently during my drive. I had my electrical system checked out and everything is fine. I had the valve stems checked out and they are fine. What else could it be?
Old 12-04-2013, 08:46 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

How much air pressure do you have in the tires, and how do you know? The warning will trip below 25lbs, cooler temps may be the issue if you don't know how much pressure is in each tire. If you get the warning when you have 30 lb s air in the tire, your only choice is a bad sensor in the tire. Which wheel is giving the low warning?
Old 12-04-2013, 09:16 PM
NRUSC71
Navigator

The codes are A0-LDCM B2282 H, A1- RDCM B2283 H, B AO LDCM B2284 H & A1-RDCM B2285 H. The tire pressure is correct. It alternates on which wheel is low. I had the sensors checked and they seem to be ok.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:47 PM
NRUSC71
Navigator

I have not disconnected the battery. I just had the auto club check my battery, starter and alternator. All are in good condition. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2013, 04:23 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

You still haven't said how much pressure you run in the tire. Are you saying also that alternates between all four tires? What pressure does it read on the DIC when the low pressure reading is displayed?
Your position seems to be it doesn't work, but nothing's wrong. Because of the way the sensor works with the RFA, the only thing that makes sense is that you don't have enough air in your tires. You may have a bad gauge. If you really want to troubleshoot the problem, try a different gauge, or add 2 lbs of air to all four tires and drive around a little. If it doesn't fix the problem you can always let it back out. If you're getting a reading, the RFA and the tpms are working. The tpms could be off, but to have more than one read the pressure incorrectly, intermittently is very unlikely. Without you providing information on how you know how much pressure is actually in the tires and what your DIC says is there, you're just going in circles. I don't know how you "had the tpms checked", the only check is do they read what the actual pressure is. And if they do, and you have enough air in the tires, you won't get a low tire warning alternating between tires. If you have actual pressure of mid twenties, you will get exactly what you describe. If you want help, give an answer to what it reads on the display, and how much is REALLY in the tire, with more than one gauge.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 12-05-2013 at 04:36 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:04 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

The OP says his car is a model year 2000. Unless the TPMS sensors have been changed sometime along the way, 13 year old sensors are quite possibly near the end of their life cycle.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:05 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Are the sensors originals from 2000?

If they are, you have been lucky that they are still working at all. Many start failing in about 7 to 10 year range. If they are originals, you probably need new ones.

Good luck.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:54 AM
NRUSC71
Navigator

thank you everyone. I really appreciate everyones input. On the tire pressure, I had them checked and filled by Costco Tire Department. They also checked the valve stems with a round magnet and they said that they were OK. I will try to add a few extra pounds to each tire and see if that helps.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:08 AM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 124 Posts

I get an occasional warning every fall as soon as the temps drop. Might just need to add some air.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:34 AM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
You still haven't said how much pressure you run in the tire. Are you saying also that alternates between all four tires? What pressure does it read on the DIC when the low pressure reading is displayed?
Your position seems to be it doesn't work, but nothing's wrong. Because of the way the sensor works with the RFA, the only thing that makes sense is that you don't have enough air in your tires. You may have a bad gauge. If you really want to troubleshoot the problem, try a different gauge, or add 2 lbs of air to all four tires and drive around a little. If it doesn't fix the problem you can always let it back out. If you're getting a reading, the RFA and the tpms are working. The tpms could be off, but to have more than one read the pressure incorrectly, intermittently is very unlikely. Without you providing information on how you know how much pressure is actually in the tires and what your DIC says is there, you're just going in circles. I don't know how you "had the tpms checked", the only check is do they read what the actual pressure is. And if they do, and you have enough air in the tires, you won't get a low tire warning alternating between tires. If you have actual pressure of mid twenties, you will get exactly what you describe. If you want help, give an answer to what it reads on the display, and how much is REALLY in the tire, with more than one gauge.
OP - did you read this?

Please ask the costco guy how much pressure is in each tire....
Old 12-05-2013, 12:22 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Even GM says you should not rely just on the TPS.
You need to check the tire pressures periodically with a good quality tire pressure gage.
I would never depend on a shop to get the pressures right.
You really need to check them after they have all equalized overnight, and then go from there.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:06 PM
NRUSC71
Navigator

I am pleased and somewhat embarrassed. But, problem is solved. Costco checked my pressure and set them at 24 & 25#. I went to a Firestone dealer & he checked them and increased the pressure to 30 & 31#. That did it! And it didn't cost me anything.

Thank all of you for your input.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:07 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by NRUSC71
I am pleased and somewhat embarrassed. But, problem is solved. Costco checked my pressure and set them at 24 & 25#. I went to a Firestone dealer & he checked them and increased the pressure to 30 & 31#. That did it! And it didn't cost me anything.

Don't you own a tire gauge???

Old 12-05-2013, 04:40 PM
fixvet
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay away from idiots at Costco or any other box store tire "dealer". Learn how to do things for yourself if you're going to own a Corvette. That's the first thing I taught my sons early in their lives long ago. Get out your Owner's Manual and read it cover to cover. It will explain about tires, sensors, pressures, etc, plus a ton of other useful information. It's there for a reason. Your drives's door jam has a factory label that says 30lbs of air in a cold tires is recommended for a C5. After the tires warm up during a drive, the air pressures rises a bit, depending also on the outside air temp. I believe the DIC gives the low pressure warning when the PSI is below 26lbs of air pressure.

Get to know your car to help yourself. Good luck in the future.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:50 PM
NRUSC71
Navigator

thank you. I've learned a valuable lesson. My car may be 14 years old, but it has only 37,000 miles and it has never given me any trouble.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:12 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NRUSC71

Finally. Thanks for posting the resolution, some might not have. When a sensor fails due to battery dying, it doesn't report wrong pressures, it doesn't report at all. I really tried to help you early on, but the important thing is you have it behind you now.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:10 PM
NRUSC71
Navigator

Thank you!
Old 12-05-2013, 11:20 PM
NRUSC71
Navigator

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Finally. Thanks for posting the resolution, some might not have. When a sensor fails due to battery dying, it doesn't report wrong pressures, it doesn't report at all. I really tried to help you early on, but the important thing is you have it behind you now.
Thank you very much for your help.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:59 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

No problem, I'm just glad it was an easy fix for you.

Get notified of new replies

To Intermittent Low Tire Pressure warning

Quick Reply: Intermittent Low Tire Pressure warning