C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt/alternator squeek is driving me crazy.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 04:03 PM
VandykeT/A
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt/alternator squeek is driving me crazy.

I've been trying to cure a intermittent belt squeak ever since I bought my 04 Z06. I've replaced the main drive tensioner and pulley, both belts, the a/c tensioner and idler, even thought I had a leaky water pump causing it, replaced gaskets and still get the squeek. When cold its the worst when hot it only does it with a quick throttle blip. I'm honestly starting to think its the alternator. I can remove the belt and spin it and hear the slightest chirp noise. It sounds exactly like the belt squeak I'm hearing. Has anybody else had a problem like this that turned out to be the alternator? I'm clueless and noises like this kill me. Thanks
Old 12-05-2013, 04:19 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I and many others have had that exact story. Even after changing belts, it still turned out to be the main belt making the noise. Get a Gatorback main belt and I almost guarantee it will fix the problem.

The noise I believe is coming from the teeth on the belt rubbing the valleys on the pulleys. The gatorbacks have short teeth that do not contact the pulley valleys. Worked for me anyways.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:29 PM
fixvet
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just completely remove the belt, then start the engine to see if it the noise is gone. Running your engine a few minutes without the belt won't hurt anything. This will help you isolate the noise....hopefully. I r/r's my belts with Gatorbacks and have never had a noise.....however, I never had any noises before either and changed them at 50K miles as a preventive measure.

Good luck!
Old 12-05-2013, 04:44 PM
VandykeT/A
Advanced

Just pulled the main drive belt and left the a/c in tact. Noise is gone with main belt removed so thats definately where my problem lies. Where can you get the Good year gatorback belts now. Autozone says they don't carry them. The belts on it are gates.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:15 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Try Summit Racing. It looks like they have them in stock...
Old 12-05-2013, 05:19 PM
fixvet
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
Just pulled the main drive belt and left the a/c in tact. Noise is gone with main belt removed so thats definately where my problem lies. Where can you get the Good year gatorback belts now. Autozone says they don't carry them. The belts on it are gates.
I bought mine a Kragen's a few years ago. Do a google search for "GatorBack" belts and locate a dealer nearby. Most autoparts store carry them without wasting time buying online. I think mine cost about $15-20 or so. Very reasonable.

Good luck
Old 12-05-2013, 05:24 PM
VandykeT/A
Advanced

Just ordered one off ebay, 25 bucks shipped. You guys pretty confident thats the problem?
Old 12-05-2013, 05:29 PM
fixvet
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
Just ordered one off ebay, 25 bucks shipped. You guys pretty confident thats the problem?
Is AutoZone the only parts store in your town? I like to buy local so I can look those guys in the eye, and no waiting a week for a UPS box. Google is always my first step in researching parts. Too many rip-off artists out there peddling "Corvette" parts, when most are available locally anyway if a guy just pays attention. Good luck
Old 12-05-2013, 11:16 PM
VandykeT/A
Advanced

I tried Advance, O'Reilys, CARQUEST, Autozone, and a auto plus. All of them only sold Gates or Dayco.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:30 PM
JUSTCRZN
Instructor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Had same problem on the same car. Had to Google Gaterback dealers to find one in the area. Replaced both belts and fixed problem.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:43 PM
CMC Corvette
Cruising

I saw that so many of you had success with the Goodyear Gatorback belts that I got one (the main belt; stock # ends in 798) and put it on my 2001 5.7L. THE NOISE IS GONE; HOWEVER---- While replacing the belt, I noticed that as I would release and apply the belt tension on the main tensioner pulley (top of engine, passenger side), that the pulley would turn slightly sideways. (Tension off, the pulley would be straight; tension on, the pulley would go slightly sideways again.) Even though the new belt eliminated the squeak/squeal, I am convinced that the pulley was the main problem and I did not want a pulley out of line. I have just replaced the tensioner/pulley ($40 for the part). It took me less than 10 minutes to get the belt off, unscrew the two tensioner/pulley bolts and remove, and replace with the new tensioner. I've got a total of $60 in the belt and tensioner/pulley.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:49 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by CMC Corvette
I saw that so many of you had success with the Goodyear Gatorback belts that I got one (the main belt; stock # ends in 798) and put it on my 2001 5.7L. THE NOISE IS GONE; HOWEVER---- While replacing the belt, I noticed that as I would release and apply the belt tension on the main tensioner pulley (top of engine, passenger side), that the pulley would turn slightly sideways. (Tension off, the pulley would be straight; tension on, the pulley would go slightly sideways again.) Even though the new belt eliminated the squeak/squeal, I am convinced that the pulley was the main problem and I did not want a pulley out of line. I have just replaced the tensioner/pulley ($40 for the part). It took me less than 10 minutes to get the belt off, unscrew the two tensioner/pulley bolts and remove, and replace with the new tensioner. I've got a total of $60 in the belt and tensioner/pulley.
Good job..thanks for posting your experience
Old 07-22-2015, 09:22 AM
corvetterayinga
1st Gear

Default Belts/Bearings Squeal

Vette Folks,

Just want to post my 2 cents on this. I have a an 03 Z06 that had an intermittent squeal especially after high moisture exposure like rain or heavy dew. Noise started at about 110k miles. Last week at about 127k miles it became constant and very annoying. After reading the forum info I could find (which was plenty but nothing conclusive), I dropped by Autozone and bought both belts, both tensioners and both idler pulleys to a tune of $192. It was the right thing to do to replace all of that. The noise turned out to be either the AC belt tensioner or idler (verified by cranking the engine with main drive belt off for about 5 seconds). But most important is what I am about to say. I spun both removed tensioners and both idlers and they all spun 'free-wheeling' as if they were dry and 'slap worn out' (which they were). They should not do that if properly lubricated. I got to thinking why this was so. It is purely mathematical, so to speak. The idlers and tensioner pulleys are roughly 1/4 to 1/5 the diameter of the crank pulley. 1 million revolutions on the engine is about 4-5 million on each one of the smaller pulleys. I know you guys never push you engines up to 6k RPM, but if you did those same smaller pulleys are doing 24-30k RPM. Quite simply they will wear out! This really goes for the alternator bearings also since it also has a smaller pulley. Hope this helps some folks.

Get in, crank it up, and drive it like you stole it!

Get notified of new replies

To Belt/alternator squeek is driving me crazy.

Quick Reply: Belt/alternator squeek is driving me crazy.